Major Sunday Doom Major Sunday Doom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan - scorchio!

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (Yorkshire)
    Posts
    11,442

    Default Major Sunday Doom

    Anyone else watch John Major on Andrew Marr this morning? I know some would say asking John Major's advice on the economy is a bit like asking Tony Blair's advice on the Middle-East peace process, but I thought he expressed it quite well:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ow/7504074.stm

    SIR JOHN MAJOR: They certainly can't cut taxes because they, in terms of increasing consumer choice because they have such a big fiscal deficit. They can't increase public spending because they've already spent the, the money that we would normally use. So they have cut off the solution to this problem just as the problem has arisen.

    And it's quite extraordinary that over ten years in which the world has had the most benign economic circumstances for a very long time, that we have run up such a huge fiscal deficit. We have increased taxes to the extent that we've increased taxes. And we have a trade deficit that's about between fifty and sixty times higher than it was in nineteen ninety seven. So the problem is although there is a problem the traditional solutions to that problem are not practical at the moment.

    ANDREW MARR: Are not available. So what can they do do you think?

    SIR JOHN MAJOR: Well I think to a certain extent they're going to have to sit this through. It's going to take a couple of years to work its way through. Nobody's quite certain how serious it's going to be. I think it is a very serious problem. Some of the talk of Armageddon I think is overdone. I don't believe that.
    Also when asked about the true rate of inflation:

    SIR JOHN MAJOR: I would think for most people on average incomes if you look at what's happening to food, you look at what's happened to heating, you look at what's happening to the expenditures that most people cannot avoid, I would say inflation is probably double the RPI figure so we're between eight and ten percent.

  2. #2

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,255

    Default

    Who cares what John Major thinks - he was a total failure.

    To think I voted for him twice!

  3. #3

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth - scorchio!

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    We have increased taxes to the extent that we've increased taxes.
    He really said that? What a wise chap.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  4. #4

    (_?_)

    HairyArsedBloke is good enough for Jehovah!

    HairyArsedBloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pining for the tropics
    Posts
    7,091

    Default

    The New Labour government are already planning massive cuts in public spending. It is in the only area they can without much of a fight: welfare benefits, and to a lesser extent, pensions. They have been manipulating public opinion, with the aid of the opposition parties, for ages. The vilification of the sick and unemployed has been growing more strident with every round. The main stream media has willingly, even if unwittedly, jumped onboard and run with it. Nearly every week we get some story or other.

    That is not to say that there isn’t any malingerers or other unworthy recipients and that nothing should be done. However, when you think, “make the bastards work”, remember that you are being tricked into thinking that by the government. While people think that way, they can make as much of a cut back in such spending as they like.

    However, once they have eliminated as much spending as they think they can get away with there, they will have to turn to other areas to be cut back. You could be next. Nobody is safe from the drive-by mismanagement of this evil government.

  5. #5

    Banned

    Cyberman has no reputation


    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,892

    Default

    Basically, New Lie do not have a hope of turning the situation around. They have spent 11 years creating a total mess out of a very positive situation that they inherited from the Tories.

    They became complacent with spending and stealth taxes and have created a massively wasteful state system. If they cut spending they will only alienate the few voters that they have left, and raising of Vehicle Excise Duty is yet another own goal whereby those least able to afford it are hit the hardest.

    It's time for a tough government that will 'take a machete' to the Welfare and Benefits system. New Lie came to power in 1997 promising to do that via Frank Field but did not have the guts to follow it through. They have proven always to be weak when coming to make the really big decisions. Their latest ideas on knife crime sum them up and the sooner they are gone the better. Not too long now.

  6. #6

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,346

    Default

    They'd save countless billions of pounds if they cancelled or suspended a few big projects, like the ID card scheme, National Health service revamp, and even the olympics.

    I mean FFS, when you land on the bench unexpectedly you don't just plough on regardless with ambitious but dispensable spending plans. So why should a country be any different?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  7. #7

    Super poster

    Ruprect is too good to be a permie

    Ruprect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,174

    Default

    Was an interesting (and depressing) watch. He did speak some sense, even if it was a little removed. And as for Jacqui Smith...she epitomises this government: full of bad ideas and out of touch with the people she is purported to serve. Election please.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "


    Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruprect View Post
    .. And as for Jacqui Smith...she epitomises this government: full of bad ideas and out of touch with the people she is purported to serve. ..
    One could understand all these cock ups if ministers had to rely on their own limited wits and imaginations. But don't these people have small armies of Cambridge graduate civil servants and consultants, with Rolls Royce brains whirring away non stop, advising them at every step? Or is the Yes Minister image hopelessly outdated, and all the suave cynical Sir Humphrey types long gone?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  9. #9

    Super Tramp

    RichardCranium has more data than eek

    RichardCranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Up Tulip Creek
    Posts
    12,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    They'd save countless billions of pounds if they cancelled or suspended a few big projects, like the ID card scheme, National Health service revamp, and even the olympics.

    I mean FFS, when you land on the bench unexpectedly you don't just plough on regardless with ambitious but dispensable spending plans. So why should a country be any different?
    The solution to the Olympics is just obvious: outsource it to Paris. Duh.

  10. #10

    Godlike

    expat has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brutopia
    Posts
    8,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Basically, New Lie do not have a hope of turning the situation around. They have spent 11 years creating a total mess out of a very positive situation that they inherited from the Tories.

    They became complacent with spending and stealth taxes and have created a massively wasteful state system. If they cut spending they will only alienate the few voters that they have left, and raising of Vehicle Excise Duty is yet another own goal whereby those least able to afford it are hit the hardest.

    It's time for a tough government that will 'take a machete' to the Welfare and Benefits system. New Lie came to power in 1997 promising to do that via Frank Field but did not have the guts to follow it through. They have proven always to be weak when coming to make the really big decisions. Their latest ideas on knife crime sum them up and the sooner they are gone the better. Not too long now.
    With the brazen fictions that you tell about the glowing record of the Tories vs the disaster of Labour, you have a nerve calling them New Lie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •