• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Present buying for older men!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I generally get my dad a good bottle of plonk, maybe a CD if he's expressed a preference, and he loves Thorntons Original Toffee.

Other than that, his real vice is for watches and I'm planning on replacing his fake Rolex from Hong Kong with a real one for his 60th birthday next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Could you get the wine and cheese, then mock up an "award certificate" on the computer along the lines of "this entitles the holder to claim a wine and cheese hamper from under the stairs/in the wardrobe/hiding place"
      That's a very cool idea actually - I'll keep that in mind.

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Does he dig groovy tunes (or indeed talk radio?/podcasts etc) My best presents ever were my Ma's Ipod (although she's in her 70s) and the Mp3 players I bought my nieces.
        I've already got him an iPod unfortunately.

And yes, he loves it!! You're never too old for Mac gadgets it seems!!
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          If he likes wine, in a non-snobby-connoisseur kind of way, how about a wine making kit?

It would be a damn site cheaper than buying it, if he has the room to store all the bottles etc, and would give him a hobby with something to show for it and share with others.

My dad's home made wine accounts for my loss of memory during my teens and 20's! He made it for years. Gorgeous stuff

Fabulous idea though OH x x x
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
            I've already got him an iPod unfortunately.

And yes, he loves it!! You're never too old for Mac gadgets it seems!!
            I haven't read the other suggestions so apologies if someone else has posted this.

What is the one thing he's always wanted to do?

Trial flying lesson?
            Drive a rally car?

Have you thought of buying him an "experience voucher" type thing.

(IMO, you're giving him the best thing a daughter can give him and that's marrying the man you love. At least he can give you away now...)

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              My Dad was 65 last year and the presents are always difficult.

He is normally quite happy with a decent bottle of rum.

For his 65th we gave him a flying lesson. He doesn't want to learn to fly but he enjoyed being able to survey the area surrounding where he lives from a few thousand feet up inside a small plane. But that had to be a children-club-together present. I would happily of paid for it myself but my family would be truly horrified if they found out how much I am earning.

Having said all that, one of his favourite presents was a solar/wind-up powered radio. He likes to spend time in the summer-house or other places where there is no electricity, so he was over the moon to get a radio that does not need batteries.

Funnily enough I bought my dad a flying lesson a few Xmas's ago, and he never used it!

I'd always thought it was a great idea!

Hmmmm - anything solar is a great idea actually, as they're moving out to Spain soon and I know their rooftop garden doesn't have power n it yet!!!

Gonzo, as always, you are totally lush x x x x x x x
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Get him one of these

PS. I'd like one too
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I haven't read the other suggestions so apologies if someone else has posted this.

What is the one thing he's always wanted to do?

Trial flying lesson?
                  Drive a rally car?

Have you thought of buying him an "experience voucher" type thing.

(IMO, you're giving him the best thing a daughter can give him and that's marrying the man you love. At least he can give you away now...)

He never wants anythign material - he's a lovely simple man - just loves his family being around, loves a drink, and that's about it.

Anyway, everyone can stop now - Gonzo had the best suggestion (although most serious ones were very good indeed, and very appreciated)

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                  X