• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parking Ticket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking Ticket

How likely do you think our appeal would be? My wife has just had a parking ticket for not showing the disabled badge when visiting a shop. She left my son in the car and went into the shop. The windows of the car were down and due to strong winds, the badge blew onto the floor. The traffic warden then came along and placed a ticket on the car while my son, the badge holder was clearly sat in the car, was listening to the radio.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Its worth a shot. There is no penalty if you lose i think.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      How likely do you think our appeal would be? My wife has just had a parking ticket for not showing the disabled badge when visiting a shop. She left my son in the car and went into the shop. The windows of the car were down and due to strong winds, the badge blew onto the floor. The traffic warden then came along and placed a ticket on the car while my son, the badge holder was clearly sat in the car, was listening to the radio.
      Worth a try. Strictly speaking the regulations require that the badge be on display, which it wasn't at the actual time of ticketing, but if you explain the circumstances they may exercise discretion.

FWIW an acquaintance of mine who was a traffic warden reckoned that there was always a decent chance of getting a ticket revoked if you had a reasonable-sounding excuse, although this was when it was a police-run thing, rather than nowadays when it's whoever the local authority have outsourced it to.

The case on which he reckoned I should have appealed was when my car was parked on a single yellow near my home in the evening (all the non-restricted spaces were occupied by football fans) and, having been out on the town for a friend's birthday, I reckoned I wasn't yet sufficiently alcohol-free to move it at 7:30 in the morning when the restrictions started. If he thought that being drunk at breakfast time was a good enough excuse to have a ticket revoked, you should have a chance

Comment

You are not going to win that one I think.
        It is your responsibility to make sure the badge is displayed.

What were you thinking? Leaving your disabled son in an unlocked car! Anything could have happened.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

What were you thinking? Leaving your disabled son in an unlocked car! Anything could have happened.

Eh? Tony doesn't say it was unlocked, just that the windows were open.

I don't know how old his son is, but I'd say that under 10, probably not great to have left him there, over 10 fine.

Comment

Well he **should** win if any sort of common sense was applied. It tends to be quite lacking these days.

Comment

If your son is the disabled one, and the badge is for his benefit, and he stayed in the car, why did you park in such a way that the badge was needed?

Surely the disabled badge is there to make your son's life easier, not yours.

Just a track that any apeals board might take..............
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

Pretty good chance, but don't tell them it wasn't on display. As a back up
                leave it as long as possible before sending the appeal, and then in all likelihood the council won't be able to respond fast enough. I've won by them not responding fast enough before.

The appeals people tend to be a lot less draconian than the councils.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Were you being ironic?

It's difficult to tell, as I get the impression that the average British parent treats a ten-year-old in a way that was deemed appropriate for a five-year-old when I was growing up.

Comment

Last month I was dropping off some items to Oxfam.

I parked on double yellows for 2 minutes, and in that time got a £70 ticket.

Talked to the parking officer (who had just started to write the ticket) and got a signed letter from the oxfam manager that I was only parked there for 2 minutes.

Wrote up a nice letter, sent it off and common sense prevailed.

I was shocked, but £70 better of.

TM

Comment

Working...
                    X