• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another life ruined

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 years ago... I lost my temper at school in the school yard, hit a kid smaller than me, suddenly, WHAM!!! my headmaster had slapped me across the face with amazing force - f--k knows where he'd sprung from! I saw stars, etc. We both realized he was probably f--ked (even back then). Result: we shook hands, each apologized, and carried-on with our lives.

Comment

huh? what kind of dalek school did you go to?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif View Post
        Point taken. Just emphasising that I don't see physical chastisement as part of normal disciplining.
        It's the "normal" part that is important here. I have slapped my son, once, in extreme circumstances. When violence becomes a regular form of punishment there is a problem. As a one off it can be the only way to get the message accross.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          huh? what kind of dalek school did you go to?
          Rudolf Steiner - we had to express our anger through the medium of dance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            You can tell us! No-one else is listening.
            No way - I have still not forgiven myself.

Originally posted by wonderwaif View Post
            Point taken. Just emphasising that I don't see physical chastisement as part of normal disciplining.
            Neither did Dad - as far as I am aware he's never raised his hand to my brother or sister

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            It's the "normal" part that is important here. I have slapped my son, once, in extreme circumstances. When violence becomes a regular form of punishment there is a problem. As a one off it can be the only way to get the message accross.
            Yep - agree 100%
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Personally I think a bit of corporal punishment is a good thing. A slap or a smack is justified in certain circumstances but it must never be the norm. More discipline needed in society all round I think.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Agreed, in fact if it's a regular form of punishment it's ineffective. If you look to nature especially mammals, animals will chastise their young with small bites/knocks, not to cause injury but as a warning. I'm not advocating that we eat or sit on our children though...

A slap on the bum is embarrassing and upsetting for a child but it doesn't cause injury or damage and is part of the education process in the same way children don't appreciate fire until they're burned; it should be available to a parent in the appropriate circumstances.

The issue of course it that there are groups saying "We shouldn't hit children" but no groups saying "Lets smack 'em about a bit" as such the legislation only goes one way; it's the same for lots of issues.
                B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Personally I think a bit of corporal punishment is a good thing. A slap or a smack is justified in certain circumstances but it must never be the norm. More discipline needed in society all round I think.
                  I am very (read that as overly) protective toward children, but discipline is a must. a slap in extreme circumstances, can improve both your life and the future of your child's.
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    He should have spanked (with hand) making sure left no bruises. Or is that illegal now too?
                    What he did may well have been found to be not illegal, if it had it had come to court.

Originally posted by NSPCC Busybody, who should be concentrating on real child abuse, rather than attempting to criminalise parents who actually care about their kids
                    Parents can sometimes be pushed to the limit by teenagers who are looking to see how far they can go but smacking won't solve the problem.

It simply tells your child that violence is acceptable and gives the message that its all right for them to hit other people.
                    Testicles.

I spanked my kids quite often up to the age of 6-8. Usually for something to do with attitude - i.e. cheek, or wilful disobedience. Now they're older it's not necessary - they can be reasoned with, and already have the habit of obedience and respect.

If you don't discipline your children (in whatever way), then pure and simple you don't love them.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

if Ive told you once Ive told you a dozen times. Four inches of barbed wire up the rectum. its the only way

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X