• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another life ruined

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't see how anyone could say they love their kids, if they never tell them off, never correct bad behaviour. We've all seen the results of such parenting, or rather absence thereof. Does it lead to happy, well adjusted kids? So if you do "parent" along those lines, are you doing your best for your child? You may have soft, warm fuzzy emotions over your offspring, but you are not showing them love, you are behaving as though you hate them. You care more about your own feelings of guilt, if you were to punish them, than you do about them.

Discipline, only means physical chastisement if you're a yank. I think I made it quite clear that I believe it is perfectly possible to discipline your kids without smacking them.

My opinion, and that of UK law, is that there is nothing wrong with smacking. It is merely another option available to parents. I don't think you're morally or intellectually deficient or superior if you chose not to use it. Although not the CUK way, if you think there is then justify it, rather than ad hominem attacks, you morons.

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    I sense a 'parenting argument' about to happen.

/gets popcorn
    /sits back
    Fun isn't it.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 14 August 2008, 05:08.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Children are not all the same.
      The behaviour is different from child to child.
      Some respond well to verbal chastisement and the reward system, some don't.

My Granddaughters for instance. One is 7 Years old now, and has always been very well behaved, in fact a little lady.

The 3 year old is however a nightmare. she has a wicked sense of humour, and will laugh while doing something she's been told not to do. She has no fear of falling, burning or even a dog that is snarling at her.
      Reward and denial punishment does not work with her. She has had a couple of light smacks (taps) to help curb her worst (most dangerous) antics. It is not pain inflicted (there isn't any) that works, it is the psychological effect of the light smack; coupled with the angry face and voice that seems to make her realise that she has gone too far (usually lasts for a couple of hours before she is back to her old antics again).
      She is a very intelligent and loveable child and loves a hug, she does place herself in danger though, and this is behaviour that needs to be curbed by any sensible means possible.

Punishment that leaves a physical or adverse psychological mark on a child is not acceptable under any circumstance.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        ...psychological mark on a child is not acceptable under any circumstance.
        I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X