Suspicions about agency, opinions please. Suspicions about agency, opinions please.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 26

Contractor Among Contractors

chris79 has no reputation

Default Suspicions about agency, opinions please.

Had a meeting with prospective new client earlier this week, you might have seen my post telling how I was 30 mins late for the interview etc..

Anyway, day #3 after the interview and still no yes or no as to whether they want me. For the last 2 days agency has been telling me that they keep missing each other, or back to back meetings etc. Today I rang up and was told that the manager who interviewed me needs to 'run my skills by one last person' to confirm the decision. I was also told I was the only person going for the interview (whether this is true or not I don't know).

The above is starting to set alarm bells ringing with me now, either they are lying to me, or dragging the time out whilst they consider other options etc. If this is the case it implies to me that I'm clearly not 100% the candidate they want, I'm on a long term gig and I would be leaving this to go short term (ok with better money), but I'm starting to get bad vibes about the client and trust going on here. Am I reading too much into this? Anyone had similar?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Banned

Bob Dalek is too good to be a permie

It happens.

Keep looking around, meanwhile.

Bluebird has no reputation

Could be the client is looking for someone else. but in case they don't come up with anyone they'll take you.

If you want to push it, tell agency you've had another offer, and whilst it's not ideal and you'd prefer the role you've interviewed for you don't want to miss out.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Fingers like lightning

Advocate is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    It happens.

Keep looking around, meanwhile.
    Meanwhile what?
    B00med!

Godlike

alreadypacked has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by chris79 View Post
    Had a meeting with prospective new client earlier this week, you might have seen my post telling how I was 30 mins late for the interview etc..

Anyway, day #3 after the interview and still no yes or no as to whether they want me. For the last 2 days agency has been telling me that they keep missing each other, or back to back meetings etc. Today I rang up and was told that the manager who interviewed me needs to 'run my skills by one last person' to confirm the decision. I was also told I was the only person going for the interview (whether this is true or not I don't know).

The above is starting to set alarm bells ringing with me now, either they are lying to me, or dragging the time out whilst they consider other options etc. If this is the case it implies to me that I'm clearly not 100% the candidate they want, I'm on a long term gig and I would be leaving this to go short term (ok with better money), but I'm starting to get bad vibes about the client and trust going on here. Am I reading too much into this? Anyone had similar?
    Could be the client has asked to see some more CVs/people before they make up their mind. Or another agent is trying to get Client to see some of their people. It hard, but you will never know for sure, you will just have to sit it out. Keep looking, revap your CV, clean the oven etc.

Good luck
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

More fingers than teeth

DodgyAgent is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Could be the client is looking for someone else. but in case they don't come up with anyone they'll take you.

If you want to push it, tell agency you've had another offer, and whilst it's not ideal and you'd prefer the role you've interviewed for you don't want to miss out.
    Who's the client?

Ministry of Love

realityhack has more data than eek

IMHO you are reading too much into this. It happens, there could be all sorts of reasons, the agency could be messing around, it could be the client, no matter - keep looking around until you have a signed contract and start date. And even then, keep an eye out for other opportunities. I'm always scanning the job boards for something else.

dang65 has no reputation

Been in the same situation a few times and it's never turned out good. That's not to say it won't in this case, but I've always found that when the agency "can't get hold of the client" after an interview, it means the client isn't interested and is probably interviewing other people or has simply had the financial authority for the position withdrawn. Every successful interview has had an almost instant response from the client. Even when they've told me in the interview that "it may take a few days to get back to you", it's actually been less than two hours in most cases.

But, yeah, it is the holidays and that, so they may be genuinely held up.

Godlike

expat has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by chris79 View Post
    Today I rang up and was told that the manager who interviewed me needs to 'run my skills by one last person' to confirm the decision. I was also told I was the only person going for the interview (whether this is true or not I don't know).

The above is starting to set alarm bells ringing with me now...
    A lot of clients do keep looking for the perfect candidate. You're not it; nobody ever is. It happens, and no-one (least of all the agent) knows how long the client will keep looking. Or of course the agent could be lying (that does happen).

Keep that opportunity open, and look for others. Never depend on 1 single contract. Never love a contract that you don't have. Always be ready to move on.

Ministry of Love

realityhack has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    A lot of clients do keep looking for the perfect candidate. You're not it; nobody ever is. It happens, and no-one (least of all the agent) knows how long the client will keep looking. Or of course the agent could be lying (that does happen).

Keep that opportunity open, and look for others. Never depend on 1 single contract. Never love a contract that you don't have. Always be ready to move on.
    Spot on.