• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am in the wrong business, and so are you lot

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the wrong business, and so are you lot

I am shocked. My VW Touran broke down with a hooky alternator.

Bill for repair

£690.00

£100.00 per hour for labour!

£100.00 for diagnostics which "they had to do" as the battery was flat as it would be.

£100 for a new battery.

"never mind" said the service rep, "you get a 2 year warranty on it"

Yeah great, it goes back to the leasing company tomorrow!
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Bill for repair

£690.00

£100.00 for diagnostics which "they had to do" as the battery was flat as it would be.

£100 for a new battery.

BANGERNOMICS!

HTH.

Comment

This is why I stopped buying VWs. They aren't appreciably more reliable, but they are expensive to repair. People claim that British cars were shoddy and unreliable, but everywhere there seem to be stories like this about the supposedly well engineered German ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        This is why I stopped buying VWs. They aren't appreciably more reliable, but they are expensive to repair. People claim that British cars were shoddy and unreliable, but everywhere there seem to be stories like this about the supposedly well engineered German ones.
        VW's are no more reliable than anything else, its all marketing spin. How many old rover's (1990's) do you see on the roads, compared to other makes? The old 214 & 414's had great rustproofing and aside from head gasket munching on the k-series engine there was very little that went wrong with them and when it did, they're generally simple and cheap. We recently had a '93 Rover 414 and a 98 VW Vento in the family - guess which has the most rust?

Comment

Originally posted by ft101 View Post
          VW's are no more reliable than anything else, its all marketing spin. How many old rover's (1990's) do you see on the roads, compared to other makes? The old 214 & 414's had great rustproofing and aside from head gasket munching on the k-series engine there was very little that went wrong with them and when it did, they're generally simple and cheap. We recently had a '93 Rover 414 and a 98 VW Vento in the family - guess which has the most rust?
          Bl00dy snob
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Bill for repair

£690.00

£100 for a new battery.

and you paid ? diagnostics is pluging the obdII port of the car in a laptop to see if it throws up any error codes. takes 2 mins in fact i can do this at home since i have the workshop software and required cable .

sorry but you where mugged

Comment

My Beater broke down on the motorway on friday. AA contractor picked me up and fixed it at the Garage for £70, fan belt had snapped, £50 labour, £20 belt.

A mate had a TT, every time he took it for a service the bill was £500 plus. That's for a car with a run of the mill golf engine!

My s2000 costs £150 for a basic service, £250 for a major, and that has a complicated technically advanced engine.

God bless VAG eh? if only for the bare faced cheek! A they still try it on when they keep on falling down the reliability listings
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                My Beater broke down on the motorway on friday. AA contractor picked me up and fixed it at the Garage for £70, fan belt had snapped, £50 labour, £20 belt.

A mate had a TT, every time he took it for a service the bill was £500 plus. That's for a car with a run of the mill golf engine!

My s2000 costs £150 for a basic service, £250 for a major, and that has a complicated technically advanced engine.

God bless VAG eh? if only for the bare faced cheek! A they still try it on when they keep on falling down the reliability listings

Diesel solenoid failed on IOM. AA diagnosed it. He went and bought a new one, fitted it, it cost £12.00. Nice man, very very nice man.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

My alternator packed up on my old Nissan. I called out the AA, the guy tapped it a couple of times with a hammer to knock out any dust etc and then it started working again. Over the next few years whenever it packed up I repeated this action. Cost me zilch !!!

Comment

That sounds more like a stuck starter motor trick
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 9 September 2008, 21:50.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X