• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Das ist gut c'est fantastique

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mark Twain had some interesting observations to make on German.
    Well that's depressing. Good read though, thanks.

If you're speaking German to natives, I found often that if you don't get the pronunciation just right, they really don't understand you.
    I'm suprised by that. I would have thought it'd be easier to be understood in German than it would in French, especially as the Germans seem much more willing to speak English.

65% of words in German are very similar to English. Only 25% of French words are similar to English - usually the latin based one.
    I'm suprised by that too. I remember learning things like le pique-nique and le football and wondering if the teacher wasn't just having us on.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Like yourself, I learned French to 'O' level. Most of it I have forgotten unfortunately.

I worked for a German company for over a decade and they sponsored employees to learn German. After 20 years I am still not fluent but I did reach advanced level and when working in Germany always take the opportunity to do the night school. It's a very good way of meeting people and I have made some longterm friends via that route!!

Nowadays, I am learning Portuguese and I am currently reading Wuthering Heights in Portuguese(very useful as English translation is in the margins!!) having previously dabbled in Spanish. This is mainly because I eventually would like to live and work in South America at some stage in the future.

Comment

Working...
      X