• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hedge Funds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hedge Funds

Hedge funds

hmm
    I'm alright Jack

Is this related to the lawn mower thread?

Comment

"One of the main problems experienced by hedge funds is the extent of leverage in the industry. The funds were able to take on huge amounts of debt, with little capital needed as security, to boost returns. One observer said some of the leveraged strategies were like "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller, and that only takes a turn in the market to cause severe problems"

These huge leverages should have been banned long time ago - in fact banks were unable to use those leverages because of capital requirements, so they offloaded them into hedge funds who were very poorly (if at all) regulated. Look at shady companies used by Northern Rock who held billions of debt papers while being located in offshores or outside of normal regulation. That's what was driving crazy asset bubble in the last decade - the most astonishing thing is that those people who run hedge funds thought of themselves like they were some kind of Buffets or something

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        "One of the main problems experienced by hedge funds is the extent of leverage in the industry. The funds were able to take on huge amounts of debt, with little capital needed as security, to boost returns. One observer said some of the leveraged strategies were like "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller, and that only takes a turn in the market to cause severe problems"

These huge leverages should have been banned long time ago - in fact banks were unable to use those leverages because of capital requirements, so they offloaded them into hedge funds who were very poorly (if at all) regulated. Look at shady companies used by Northern Rock who held billions of debt papers while being located in offshores or outside of normal regulation. That's what was driving crazy asset bubble in the last decade - the most astonishing thing is that those people who run hedge funds thought of themselves like they were some kind of Buffets or something
        AtW.

Give it a rest please, no one gives a toss what you think and newsflash - neither the financial markets or the FSA or anyone else for that matter either.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          AtW.

Give it a rest please
          Tell it to BlasterBates - he posted it

Comment

Tell it to BlasterBates - he posted it
            Nah, his post was fine - it's your on going commentary on anything finance related that's getting very tedious.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Nah, his post was fine - it's your on going commentary on anything finance related that's getting very tedious.
              I am glad to hear it winds you up, thanks for letting me know.

Comment

I am glad to hear it winds you up, thanks for letting me know.
                Dude, it winds me down. It's like prozac. Except it lasts longer. I'd rather listen to Alistair Darling do an extended version of last years budget

Comment

it winds me down.
                  Sure it does. I'll post more of my financial comments and views then

Comment

Sure it does. I'll post more of my financial comments and views then
                    Vogon logic if ever I heard it.

Comment

Working...
                    X