• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Electronic timesheets bad for IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that I care anymore, but .....

An agency timesheet system is just a means of invoicing, so has no indication of control.

However, (the point of my post) should a contractor use the time recording system at a clientco? Not just clock in/out, but X hours on Project A, Y on Support B, etc. Would doing so indicate control? I believe that is hook, line and sinker.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I use a clientco electronic timesheet - once approved they send money to my agency.

All contractors here HAVE to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I use a clientco electronic timesheet - once approved they send money to my agency.

All contractors here HAVE to use it.
        A couple of our large household name clients using electronic systems, although we don't receive the money from the company (that still falls to credit control to chase up) but we do get approval from the hiring manager, so it speeds things up a bit for payment to contractor. All the contractor has to do is send us an invoice as normal as timesheets are electronic.
        I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
          I wouldn't worry too much about it. In all the years I've dealt with IR35 enquiries, timesheets (in any form) have never been a major element of a case. Not worth burning any bridges over.
          Wise words. If you have to you have to. As for the password thread, I favour the light touch approach. Currently I email my days to an authoriser at the end of the month and he replies with an authorisation email. Then I forward that to the pimp with my invoice.

Suits me...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Not that I care anymore, but .....

An agency timesheet system is just a means of invoicing, so has no indication of control.

However, (the point of my post) should a contractor use the time recording system at a clientco? Not just clock in/out, but X hours on Project A, Y on Support B, etc. Would doing so indicate control? I believe that is hook, line and sinker.
            I use client co's timesheet, because clientco then uses it to bill their clients.

has no bearing at all on what I do or when I do it, it's just a means of telling my client what I have done and when I did it.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              I use client co's timesheet, because clientco then uses it to bill their clients.

has no bearing at all on what I do or when I do it, it's just a means of telling my client what I have done and when I did it.
              Ah, I see. It's after the fact so it is not direction. Thank's for clearing that up in my mind.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad that I don't have to worry about these things anymore.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                Ah, I see. It's after the fact so it is not direction. Thank's for clearing that up in my mind.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad that I don't have to worry about these things anymore.
                Spot on HAB!

Timesheets! Ha ha ha!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

what about self-billing invoices is that bad?

Comment

No difference between paper and electronic version

Secondly, timesheets are no an indicator of "control" but rather a case of just letting the client know after the fact what he will be billed for

Only thing I would say to watch out for is the text on timesheets, remember a few years a ago client wanted us contractors to use their new permie timesheet system, we had no real issue with that until we noticed all the fields were labelled "Employee" - "Employer" and such. But quick chat soon sorted that and we got a new "contractor timesheet" form done

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
                      what about self-billing invoices is that bad?
                      Irrelevant. Raise the invoice anyway and file it for your accounts.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X