• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British energy in the hands of the French state ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British energy in the hands of the French state ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7532542.stm

Interesting point:

And if British Energy is eventually sold to EDF, both clean-up and new-build will be dominated by large French companies, which are themselves controlled by the French state.
    Not sure I'm all that comfortable with out energy being controlled by the French. Even if they are our allies.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7532542.stm

Interesting point:

Not sure I'm all that comfortable with out energy being controlled by the French. Even if they are cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Better...
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Not sure I'm all that comfortable with out energy being controlled by the French
      Who in turn are incapable of controlling anything anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much.

The worst that could happen is that Homer Le Simpsonné goes on strike and leaves the plant running unattended for a few weeks.

oh...wait...
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        Not sure I'm all that comfortable with out energy being controlled by the French. Even if they are our allies.
        Isn't that better than the vodka swilling russkis though?
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Daily Mail readers out in force I see.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            Daily Mail readers out in force I see.
            No, not really. Just an observation - I've no problem with foreign takeovers, even French companies. it's the connection between those companies and who controls them which I never quite realised. I.E. they're controlled by the French government, de facto meaning our energy future will be in the hands of the French government.

Is it unreasonable, or hysterical (Al la daily mail) to question if this is a good thing?
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Daily Mail readers out in force I see
              ?
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Who in turn are incapable of controlling anything anyway.

You mean as opposed to us Brits who are brilliant at management?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

The problem I have with the deal is this. Nobody wants to have a nuclear plant in their back yard. So if you are the French state then why not own a company who builds a load in another country - are you telling me that none of the power created by the plants in the UK will go into the French grid?
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    are you telling me that none of the power created by the plants in the UK will go into the French grid?
                    Apparently electricity in France is about a fifth the cost that it is here. More likely they'll be trying to sell us more of their electricity and letting their own peasents have less: more profitable that way.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X