• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining it back on topic a little:

Currently reading Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I got bogged down in The Brothers Karamzov. A friend (?) remarked that the first 300 pages or so were a bit boring, but it got interesting after that.
      The only book that brings tears to my eyes...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I have a few on the go:

The Dice Man - George Cockroft - Hard Work
        The Black Swan - Harder Work.
        My Booky Wook - Russell Brand - More my level.

The missus reads whatever those great literary scholars Richard and Judy recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
          I have a few on the go:

The Dice Man - George Cockroft - Hard Work
          The Black Swan - Harder Work.
          My Booky Wook - Russell Brand - More my level.

The missus reads whatever those great literary scholars Richard and Judy recommend.
          Sounds like the missus has marginally better taste

Comment

She must have - she's going out with me.

It's quite funny in places actually. Not as funny as The Timewaster Letters, but then again they're a different league...

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
              She must have - she's going out with me.

It's quite funny in places actually. Not as funny as The Timewaster Letters, but then again they're a different league...
              I wouldn't read Brand on principle as I think he is a right twunt. I did laugh at the mtv bit he did the other day though.

Comment

I picked up a mates copy of my booky wook and had to put it down after flicking through it. The bloke is a tw@t and to read about him throwing his hissy fits before his MTV days you'd think the guy was Tom Cruise or something.

Brand is one man in dire need of a dose of euthanasia.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  I wouldn't read Brand on principle as I think he is a right twunt. I did laugh at the mtv bit he did the other day though.
                  His dealing with Bob Geldoff in 2006 at an awards do was just lovely! Geldof had called him a c**t:

Really it's no surprise he's [Geldof] such an expert on famine he has after all been dining out on, "I Don't Like Mondays," for 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    [Karamazov] The only book that brings tears to my eyes...
                    Oh bugger, do I have to dig it out and try again?

Comment

Haha! It's the odd gem like that which makes it all worthwhile. Comedy is too safe and boring these days.

I like the fact that everyone thinks he's a tw@t - he knows it too. It doesn't really matter - he's a funny tw@t.

People said the same about Ricky Gervais from his 11 O clock show days - then when he went mainstream everyone fell in love with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X