• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Inspired by Snaw's thread. What's on you bedside or coffee table at the mo and would you recommend it?

I'm about half way through Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

A good read although not impossible to put down when you fancy a pot noodle.

Pond what a coincidence - I'm also reading Midnight's Children but only into page 60 or so. I can't say I'm enjoying it that much though - it's one of the hardest books to read due to Rushdie's lack of ability to string a decent flow into the storyline.

What bugs me the most is that the storyline flitters from one moment to the next without any coherence. I also dislike Rushdie's incessant overuse of brackets!

I've had this book for 13 years now without having read it, so I'm reallllly trying now!

Comment

I can't wait until I've got to the end of mine. Already I have seen Spot run and seen Dick throw the ball to Spot. I wanted to see if spot could catch the ball but it was late and I had to go to bed.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Teach Yourself Latin and Razzle.

Comment

Beyond the Blue Event Horizon by Frederik Pohl

Its sci fi. I would recommend reading Gateway first as this is the sequel Gateway is an awesome book

Comment

Currently reading -

'Think and Grow Rich' by Napolean Hill - i'd heard a lot about this book so thought i ougt to give it a go. It's a bit too much 'positive mental attitude' and self belief' for me but there's some interesting stories.

'The Rottweiller' by Ruth Rendell - this is just a gap filler, something to grab when i fancy 30 mins reading. It's OK.
            Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              Pond what a coincidence - I'm also reading Midnight's Children but only into page 60 or so. I can't say I'm enjoying it that much though - it's one of the hardest books to read due to Rushdie's lack of ability to string a decent flow into the storyline.

What bugs me the most is that the storyline flitters from one moment to the next without any coherence. I also dislike Rushdie's incessant overuse of brackets!

I've had this book for 13 years now without having read it, so I'm reallllly trying now!
              The rambling storytelling nature to it is one of the things I'm quite enjoying to be honest.

Comment

Paul Theroux - The Great Railway Bazaar

Theroux is possibly the only travel writer I can read, his novels aren't bad either.
                About a quarter of the way through now, he certainly meets some interesting characters

"The Great Railway Bazaar" is Paul Theroux's account of his epic journey by rail through Asia. Filled with evocative names of legendary train routes - the Direct-Orient Express, the Khyber Pass Local, the Delhi Mail from Jaipur, the Golden Arrow to Kuala Lumpur, the Hikari Super Express to Kyoto and the Trans-Siberian Express - it describes the many places, cultures, sights and sounds he experienced and the fascinating people he met. Here he overhears snippets of chat and occasional monologues, and is drawn into conversation with fellow passengers, from Molesworth, a British theatrical agent, and Sadik, a shabby Turkish tycoon, while avoiding the forceful approaches of pimps and drug dealers. This wonderfully entertaining travelogue pays loving tribute to the romantic joys of railways and train travel.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

The shame of it all

I am reading Mark Firths book - he is the guy who used to edit Heat magazine.... it's funny but nowhere near as good as Piers Morgans books but it is along the same lines!
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    The shame of it all

I am reading Mark Firths book - he is the guy who used to edit Heat magazine.... it's funny but nowhere near as good as Piers Morgans books but it is along the same lines!
                    Scholarly swot!

Comment

Working...
                    X