• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Is this really the most recent Currently Reading thread?

Three Body Problem, by Liu Cixin - seriously hard science fiction, set in China.
    Good book - as are the other 2 in the series.

Currently reading Immortal by Nick lloyd...

Although I have kindle unlimited so generally plenty of choice but not so many new ones.

Comment

Visual Power in Ancient Greece and Rome, Tonio Hölscher
      Visual culture was an essential part of ancient social, religious, and political life. Appearance and experience of beings and things was of paramount importance. In Visual Power in Ancient Greece and Rome, Tonio Hölscher explores the fundamental phenomena of Greek and Roman visual culture and their enormous impact on the ancient world, considering memory over time, personal appearance, conceptualization and representation of reality, and significant decoration as fundamental categories of art as well as of social practice.

The Rise of Christianity (subtitled either A Sociologist Reconsiders History or How the Obscure, Marginal Jesus Movement Became the Dominant Religious Force in the Western World in a Few Centuries, depending on the edition), is a book by the sociologist Rodney Stark, which examines the rise of Christianity, from a small movement in Galilee and Judea at the (supposed) time of Jesus to the majority religion of the Roman Empire a few centuries later.

Both major sources in my just completed Masters Dissertation on the mosaics in Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        Visual culture was an essential part of ancient social, religious, and political life. Appearance and experience of beings and things was of paramount importance. In Visual Power in Ancient Greece and Rome, Tonio Hölscher explores the fundamental phenomena of Greek and Roman visual culture and their enormous impact on the ancient world, considering memory over time, personal appearance, conceptualization and representation of reality, and significant decoration as fundamental categories of art as well as of social practice.

The Rise of Christianity (subtitled either A Sociologist Reconsiders History or How the Obscure, Marginal Jesus Movement Became the Dominant Religious Force in the Western World in a Few Centuries, depending on the edition), is a book by the sociologist Rodney Stark, which examines the rise of Christianity, from a small movement in Galilee and Judea at the (supposed) time of Jesus to the majority religion of the Roman Empire a few centuries later.

Both major sources in my just completed Masters Dissertation on the mosaics in Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.
        This is worth a read.

Edward N. Luttwak
        The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third Century

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          This was a real eye-opener for me. For my 50th birthday some years ago a present to myself was to have a private tour of the Uffizi gallery from a local expert on Italian Renaissance Art. We had a long discussion about symbolism in medieval paintings. It sounds boring but it really wasn't. To summarise; there were no newspapers and most people couldn't read. One of the primary ways of passing messages on to the general population was through paintings and sculpture - symbolism in art, whether it was in the Church or elsewhere. We looked at many paintings and I was amazed by the number of messages that were in plain sight once you started to look closely (aided by the local expert naturally). This included subversive, religious and political messages - and also sight gags. Fascinating.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            This was a real eye-opener for me. For my 50th birthday some years ago a present to myself was to have a private tour of the Uffizi gallery from a local expert on Italian Renaissance Art. We had a long discussion about symbolism in medieval paintings. It sounds boring but it really wasn't. To summarise; there were no newspapers and most people couldn't read. One of the primary ways of passing messages on to the general population was through paintings and sculpture - symbolism in art, whether it was in the Church or elsewhere. We looked at many paintings and I was amazed by the number of messages that were in plain sight once you started to look closely (aided by the local expert naturally). This included subversive, religious and political messages - and also sight gags. Fascinating.
            That was money well spent, having some knowledge of what's happening certainly makes for more interesting viewing.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              I'm currently plowing my way through REAMDE <again> to refresh my memory before i tackle FALL.
              I do like Neal Stephenson's books.
              great book. Must get Fall.....

Seven Eves is also good and apparently they're making a film of it.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Good book - as are the other 2 in the series.

Currently reading Immortal by Nick lloyd...

Although I have kindle unlimited so generally plenty of choice but not so many new ones.
                Going to try immortal on my kindle unlimited, ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  Currently redoing the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan on book 5 of 13
                  Is it worth starting on the series? I looked at the amazon reviews for the first book and mixed between awful and great.

Comment

I'm not really into fantasy stuff, but anything by Mark Lawrence is worth reading, especially the Prince, Emperor, King etc of thorns.

Comment

Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece by Patrick Leigh Fermor

I read his trilogy (A Time of Gifts, Between the Woods and the Water, The Broken Road) which cover him walking from Holland to Istanbul as an 18 year old in 1933. If you have never read anything by him try A Time of Gifts. His writing is incredible.
                      Last edited by Uncle Albert; 10 October 2019, 16:44.
                      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                      X