• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Blood

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou.

Interesting story of Elizabeth Holmes - Wikipedia and how she had a net worth of $5bn based on a product that didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      The Invisible Library, by Genevieve Cogman. Victoriana/fantasy/magic/adventure. The hero is a woman who spies for the Library, but generally would rather read a good book.
      The Invisible Library a good read, not sure where im up to in the series of book though. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Comment

Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
        State only or + private pension?
        Currently nothing since I can't be arsed to fill the forms in.

And two and a half years later: still haven't filled the forms in.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 July 2022, 10:39.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Fill the bloody forms in. It's better in your pocket than anyone else's.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Fill the bloody forms in. It's better in your pocket than anyone else's.
            state pension gets better the longer you leave it, though.

private might, depending on the underlying investments.

Comment

"Hunting the Nazi Bomb: The Special Forces Mission to Sabotage Hitler's Deadliest Weapon" by Damien Lewis.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunting-Naz...s%2C257&sr=8-8

Being the story of The Heroes of Telemark by another name.

Rather enjoyed this one, though it exposes the idiocies of attempting to tow two gliders to a frozen lake in Norway in an unsuccessful attempt to get the job done.

In the end it was accomplished by a group of Norwegians.

All the British soldiers were either killed in the crashing of the gliders or were murdered by the Nazis.

Curiously he manages to give the impression that the Hanford reactors were heavy water moderated when they were graphite moderated and water (river water) cooled.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 November 2019, 23:14.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                The Invisible Library a good read, not sure where im up to in the series of book though. Thanks for reminding me about it.
                Currently reading book 6 - The Secret Chapter - published last week. And Paul Merton's Funny Ha Ha - : 80 of the Funniest Stories Ever Written.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm re-reading Northern Lights, since I'm watching the series.

Which stays reasonably true to the book.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

"The search for the Manchurian Candidate" by John Marks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Manc...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Tune in, turn on, and assassinate someone.

Relates the search for mind control techniques starting in the 1940s when cannabis appeared quite effective at loosening tongues.

Reefer madness has stolen all their souls.

Comment

Religion, Dynasty, and Patronage in Early Christian Rome, 300-900

Traces the central role played by aristocratic patronage in the transformation of the city of Rome at the end of antiquity. It moves away from privileging the administrative and institutional developments related to the rise of papal authority as the paramount theme in the city's post-classical history. Instead the focus shifts to the networks of reciprocity between patrons and their dependents. Using material culture and social theory to challenge traditional readings of the textual sources, the volume undermines the teleological picture of ecclesiastical sources such as the Liber Pontificalis, and presents the lay, clerical, and ascetic populations of the city of Rome at the end of antiquity as interacting in a fluid environment of alliance-building and status negotiation. By focusing on the city whose aristocracy is the best documented of any ancient population, the volume makes an important contribution to understanding the role played by elites across the end of antiquity.

Research for my play
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X