• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Physical Gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical Gold

Anyone buying physical gold (coins, bars, Elizabeth Duke chunky chains) as an insurance to paper money becoming worthless?

If so, can I just turn up with a van load of cash and drive away with gold bars?

Nope. It's too hard to guarantee purity (or whatever it's properly called) once it's in your grubby little paws.

Assuming you're thinking gold will become the defacto currency once the revolution/end of days arrives?

A better currency might be tins of baked beans or pure water...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Anyone buying physical gold (coins, bars, Elizabeth Duke chunky chains) as an insurance to paper money becoming worthless?

If so, can I just turn up with a van load of cash and drive away with gold bars?

Interesting to reflect that a couple of months ago this statement would have been rejected as conspiracy-scare-mongering-terrorist - take your pick - whereas today its a very sensible question.

Go for bars by the way - they are far more convertable and therefore a higher asset than coins.

And well may you have concerns about Fiat currencies - interesting snippet from Forbes 'The Mother of all bank runs '

...btw DP sorry If I appear to be 'out-dooming' you - but this article is a cracker !!!

When investors don't trust even venerable institutions like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs, you know that the financial crisis is as severe as ever.

When a nuclear option of a monster $700 billion rescue plan is not even able to rally stock markets, you know this is a global crisis of confidence in the financial system.

The next step of this panic could be the mother of all bank runs, i.e. a run on the trillion dollar-plus of the cross-border short-term interbank liabilities of the U.S. banking and financial system, as foreign banks start to worry about the safety of their liquid exposures to U.S. financial institutions.

A silent cross-border bank run has already started, as foreign banks are worried about the solvency of U.S. banks and are starting to reduce their exposure. And if this run accelerates--as it may now--a total meltdown of the U.S. financial system could occur.

The U.S. and foreign policy authorities seem to be clueless about what needs to be done next. Maybe they should today start with a coordinated 100 basis points reduction in policy rates in all the major economies in the world to show that they are starting to seriously recognize and address this rapidly worsening financial crisis.
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 October 2008, 10:44.

Comment

http://www.bullionvault.com/gold_pri...onCurrency=GBP

Comment

Get some krugerrands

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            A better currency might be tins of baked beans or pure water...
            +1
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Nope. It's too hard to guarantee purity (or whatever it's properly called) once it's in your grubby little paws.
              But bullion is hallmarked to show weight and purity.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

You have to wonder what the impact of this will be in the countrys who have relatively recently converted to the Free Market - eg China, Poland, Russia - must now view the collapse of the Free Market - and I wonder waht the view from Cuba and North Korea ?

To quote Greenspan from Feb - we are now experiencing a new disturbing, economic reality.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  But bullion is hallmarked to show weight and purity.
                  But it's only guaranteed whilst it's in a bonded warehouse.

Once you have it in you hands, and you want to sell it you have to pay for it to be assayed.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

But it's only guaranteed whilst it's in a bonded warehouse.

Once you have it in you hands, and you want to sell it you have to pay for it to be assayed.
                    Thanks MM, I didn't know that.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X