• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you recommend a maildrop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you recommend a maildrop?

I do not own a property and move with every contract - I rent somewhere local.

This time around, things went wrong and I am living out of hotels until a rental property comes available. So, I have no permanent address at all.

I can use the accountant as my company registered address, but what to do about the rest of the post?

Have you ever used a maildrop, or similar service, and can you recommend one? That is, someone who provides a postal address you can give out for personal and business use and will hold or forward your post on demand.

(NB: A Royal Mail PO Box would NOT do the job; that only really works when you have a real address.)
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Regus virtual offices are OK. They do the mail forwarding service, and telephone answering too.

Comment

I've used Mailboxes Etc
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        I do not own a property and move with every contract - I rent somewhere local.

This time around, things went wrong and I am living out of hotels until a rental property comes available. So, I have no permanent address at all.

I can use the accountant as my company registered address, but what to do about the rest of the post?

Have you ever used a maildrop, or similar service, and can you recommend one? That is, someone who provides a postal address you can give out for personal and business use and will hold or forward your post on demand.

(NB: A Royal Mail PO Box would NOT do the job; that only really works when you have a real address.)
        You have no roots and therefore I take it that you have no friends either
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Moving slightly off-topic, what council tax do you pay and what address do you give to the likes of the inland revenue/passport office when you have no fixed address?

My plan B, or at least a letter further on in the alphabet, is to sell or rent out my flat and get an auto sleeper/van and maybe go travelling, foot loose and fancy free. So I'm interested to learning how one functions without a fixed address. I suppose getting the passport/driving license etc sorted beforehand would be a must, even if you're supposed to tell them when you 'move'. Which would be tricky if you are always moving.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            You have no roots and therefore I take it that you have no friends either
            Yes dodgy you are not the most miserable loser on here.

Comment

If I was in the same situation I'd register all the necessaries at a friend's/family member's residence and use a forwarding service or virtual office, offering to pay more than my share of council tax etc for the favour.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Moving slightly off-topic, what council tax do you pay and what address do you give to the likes of the inland revenue/passport office when you have no fixed address?

My plan B, or at least a letter further on in the alphabet, is to sell or rent out my flat and get an auto sleeper/van and maybe go travelling, foot loose and fancy free. So I'm interested to learning how one functions without a fixed address. I suppose getting the passport/driving license etc sorted beforehand would be a must, even if you're supposed to tell them when you 'move'. Which would be tricky if you are always moving.
                I like this too; but I get the feeling that you have to have "an address where you can always be contacted", (that's for the driving licence), or you just can't have these things.

Unless you are a bona fide travelling person.

Edit: more from DVLA, in the context of a FOI inquiry. Note that this still presumes that a person has a contact address, which is his residential address. Actually there is no such legal definition in the UK.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...no_fixed_abode

A short term rental accommodation can be regarded as a person's residential address as can a hotel. Either can be used if it is where the individual is currently living. Both can be considered fixed abodes even if the address is only going to be current for a few months.
                Last edited by expat; 14 October 2008, 08:33.

Comment

I used to just use my Mum and Dad's in my vagrant days ! Caused a few fall outs now and then but worked OK for me. My driving license is still under that address and I haven't lived there for years, I'll sort it one of these days when I pick up some points.

Comment

There's a voice that keeps on calling me
                    Down the road is where I'll always be

Every stop I make, I'll make a new friend
                    Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want settle down,
                    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Down this road, that never seems to end,
                    Where new adventure, lies just around the bend.

So if you want to join me for a while
                    Just grab your hat, come travel light - that's hobo style.

Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home.

Just grab your hat, come travel light
                    That's hobo style.

There's a world, that's waiting to unfold,
                    A brand new tale, no one has ever told,

We've journey'd far but, you know it won't be long,
                    We're almost there and we've paid our fare, with the hobo song.

Just grab your hat, come travel light - that's hobo style.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find what I call home
                    Until tomorrow, you know I'm free to roam.
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X