Motorbikers driving style legal ? Motorbikers driving style legal ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    More time posting than coding

    juststarting has no reputation


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    216

    Default Motorbikers driving style legal ?

    Making a third lane , overtaking from the left , do these guys have any case at all in case of a collision with your car ....

  2. #2

    Godlike

    PRC1964 is good enough for Jehovah!

    PRC1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eating your cheese
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    Normally they are too dead to make a claim.

    I make extra space for bikers as I've known too many who have died.

  3. #3

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juststarting View Post
    Making a third lane , overtaking from the left , do these guys have any case at all in case of a collision with your car ....
    None at all, if they're overtaking from the left and collide with your car then they're firmly to blame.

    I take care to watch for bikers and get over to the left so that they can pass easily, but I have no sympathy for the ones that drive up the nearside. That being said bikers on the left are very rare on the roads I frequent.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    45,811

    Default

    I always keep an eye out for bikers, having known many, some of whom are no longer around (although falling out of a down express train and then getting run over by the up train, as one of them did, probably can't be blamed on the biking).

    I'm not too bothered about them cutting in and out in slow-moving motorway traffic where there's plenty of room. Doing the same on city streets is just stupid, and they have only themselves to blame if I'm forced to swerve by a taxi at the same moment as they're undertaking me.

    However I still try to make sure I know where they are, shift over if I can to make room for them to get by, and insofar as is practicable try to establish eye contact via the mirrors to let them know that I'm aware of them. It's up to them if they drive dangerously and come a cropper after that.

    EDIT: BTW, the whole "mirror eye contact" thing is because that's what I do to car drivers when riding a pushbike. If you've actually looked the driver in the eye, albeit through one of their mirrors, you can be fairly sure that they've seen you, and recognised you as a human being. If that doesn't seem to work, I assume that they're sufficiently distracted from the traffic around them to be a potential threat, and hang back from them until I'm sure it's safe to get clear of them.

    I try to actively do the same to bikers (push and motor) in the hope that it works the other way - if they can see that I'm aware of them and am consciously making room, rather than just aimlessly drifting around, then they can get past me and I no longer have to worry about their presence.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 27th October 2008 at 02:55.

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Incognito is too good to be a permie

    Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Filtering in traffic when on a motrobike isn't illegal which I was surprised to find out. As told by my biking examiner and I would trust him to know the Highway code.

    However, it is in the states.

  6. #6

    Double Godlike!

    Spacecadet is a permanent contractor

    Spacecadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    12,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    I always keep an eye out for bikers, having known many, some of whom are no longer around (although falling out of a down express train and then getting run over by the up train, as one of them did, probably can't be blamed on the biking).

    I'm not too bothered about them cutting in and out in slow-moving motorway traffic where there's plenty of room. Doing the same on city streets is just stupid, and they have only themselves to blame if I'm forced to swerve by a taxi at the same moment as they're undertaking me.

    However I still try to make sure I know where they are, shift over if I can to make room for them to get by, and insofar as is practicable try to establish eye contact via the mirrors to let them know that I'm aware of them. It's up to them if they drive dangerously and come a cropper after that.
    WHS

    I've found that most bikers are pretty courteous and if you do make room for them to zip past will acknowledge you, usually with a quick raised hand or a nod.
    They seem to be better at it than most car drivers too

    Incidently, yesterday whilst driving through cheshire, I was rerouted past a closed road, looked like there had been a pretty nasty biker accident

  7. #7

    Tosser amongst Tossers

    The Lone Gunman has more data than eek

    The Lone Gunman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Live in Morecambe bay. Currently working in Southern Germany.
    Posts
    7,692

    Default

    Nick: The eye contact thing is a well known safety case amongst bikers for the reason you said. I will position myself so you can see me in both mirrors.

    Filtering: Completely legal. For you car drivers, just think about how you pass push bikes. If we have room to pass we are entitled.

    Passing on the left (as in under taking) is illegal assuming it isn't covered by filtering. I have been amazed recently by the amount of bikes who have passed me on the left on a motorway. Last one I was passing a wagon and was in the 3rd lane. 2 harleys passed between me and the wagon.

    It is up to us to make sure it is safe to pass.

    I appreciate drivers who pull over to give me room, but please don't be offended if I don't pass. I am constantly assessing the road and can often see better than you. I will pass when it is safe to do so.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

    The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

    Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

  8. #8

    Tosser amongst Tossers

    The Lone Gunman has more data than eek

    The Lone Gunman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Live in Morecambe bay. Currently working in Southern Germany.
    Posts
    7,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
    WHS

    I've found that most bikers are pretty courteous and if you do make room for them to zip past will acknowledge you, usually with a quick raised hand or a nod.
    They seem to be better at it than most car drivers too

    Incidently, yesterday whilst driving through cheshire, I was rerouted past a closed road, looked like there had been a pretty nasty biker accident
    Also look out for a waggle of the feet or a stuck out leg, it is also a signal of thanks for when both hands are busy.
    It is also a signal to tell others to pass.

    Bikers are nice people.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

    The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

    Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Wilmslow is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    I always, always make room for bikers and move over towards the outskirts of the lane to allow them to pass through traffic safely.

    However, I had a nutter literally a foot from my bumper the other week – I was following the traffic flow, around 70, and could not go any faster as there were cars ahead of me. So, why drive to aggressively close?

    Needless to say I used my washers. In fairness, my windscreen was genuinely dirty from the truck spray in lane 2 next to me.

    Most are indeed nice people, some are just aggressive prats. Like car and lorry drivers, they are just people.

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    Bagpuss is good enough for Jehovah!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juststarting View Post
    Making a third lane , overtaking from the left , do these guys have any case at all in case of a collision with your car ....
    I assume you are talking about rush hour, stationary traffic on a dual carriageway. While not strictly allowed to undertake, you are allowed (by the highway code) to move past slower moving traffic even if it is to the right of you.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

    But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •