Recruitment consultants Recruitment consultants
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Should post faster

    Crusoe101 has no reputation

    Crusoe101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    142

    Default Recruitment consultants

    Are they born evil or is it life that makes them that way.


    Being a newbie to the contract market and having just had my first contract in an investment bank brought to an untimely end... I find myself back on the market.

    I have spoken to recruiters who do not want to put me forward for roles despite having 10 years experience and qualifications to boot......

    I have had a recruiter put me forward for a role I have already interviewed for, I might add without my consent almost blowing any chance I have of getting that GIG.

    Has any one else got any experiences to share or any helpful tips/words of wisdom they wish to share.......

  2. #2

    Super poster

    PAH is good enough for Jehovah!

    PAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CUK's new cloud - cuckoo land
    Posts
    4,999

    Default

    Look at it this way: If they weren't trying to rip us off, they'd be trying to rip off our grannies. Absolute scum the lot of them.

    Shame the end clients are too lazy to do the recruiting themselves. Though I suppose it's no suprise, they can barely do the job they're paid to do as it is. Hence they need contractors (people with half a clue) to bail them out and put up with their crap systems and business practices.

  3. #3

    BardLike

    AlfredJPruffock is a permanent contractor

    AlfredJPruffock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East Kilbride Library
    Posts
    5,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusoe101 View Post
    Are they born evil or is it life that makes them that way.


    Being a newbie to the contract market and having just had my first contract in an investment bank brought to an untimely end... I find myself back on the market.

    I have spoken to recruiters who do not want to put me forward for roles despite having 10 years experience and qualifications to boot......

    I have had a recruiter put me forward for a role I have already interviewed for, I might add without my consent almost blowing any chance I have of getting that GIG.

    Has any one else got any experiences to share or any helpful tips/words of wisdom they wish to share.......
    My Friend - Nihil Desperandum.

    I have contracted for many years - yes there are times you will find yourself on the bench , thinking 'Oh I will never get another gig'

    But you will.

    The market my be tight - but keep plugging and you should be fine.
    As for the Agents - some are good some are indifferent - but rest assured they are key to contacting- so keep on good terms.

    Whatever you do - good luck

    Trust me on that one.

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    DodgyAgent is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusoe101 View Post
    Are they born evil or is it life that makes them that way.


    Being a newbie to the contract market and having just had my first contract in an investment bank brought to an untimely end... I find myself back on the market.

    I have spoken to recruiters who do not want to put me forward for roles despite having 10 years experience and qualifications to boot......

    I have had a recruiter put me forward for a role I have already interviewed for, I might add without my consent almost blowing any chance I have of getting that GIG.

    Has any one else got any experiences to share or any helpful tips/words of wisdom they wish to share.......

    You think you have a hard time with them. I have them working for me

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning

    eliquant has no reputation

    eliquant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In a halfway house between reality and fantasy
    Posts
    796

    Default

    I've had more investment bank contracts than you've had hot salamis and the agents 'still' play me about and ignore my requests to be put forward for interviews etc. and I get ye olde 'why weren't you renewed after 6 months' and 'you don't have x and y out of a plethora of business and technical skills that the end client requires', don't think it applies just to you. Some agents just totally ignore me despite me constantly winning investment banking contracts and getting renewed.... but those are your average recruiters usually young with no direction in life, the old timers in the City banking recruitment game know the old veterans and can spot a potential and close in for the kill and forward you for roles.

    Also here is a tip: What many people IT chasing the investment banking contracts may not realise is that the business knowledge and technical skills are very specialised in different areas of finance so when you leave your last contract there may be no industry wide vancancies for say UNIX C++, FX derivatives developers with CORBA for many months to come, in other words the business knowledge you picked up at your last role is useless to other investment banks right now when you are looking for your next role, it makes it very difficult for you to obtain your next gig quickly.



    Your abrupt end at your investment bank is the same tale of woe that many will weave in this awful economic climate that we find ourselves in. My strong advice to you is don't see this IT contracting as the be all and end all. Don't waste your time waiting for the phone to ring, prepare for interviews as best you can and focus on plan b !

  6. #6

    Godlike

    alreadypacked has more data than eek

    alreadypacked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Off-shore
    Posts
    5,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eliquant View Post
    I've had more investment bank contracts than you've had hot salamis and the agents 'still' play me about and ignore my requests to be put forward for interviews etc. and I get ye olde 'why weren't you renewed after 6 months' and 'you don't have x and y out of a plethora of business and technical skills that the end client requires', don't think it applies just to you. Some agents just totally ignore me despite me constantly winning investment banking contracts and getting renewed.... but those are your average recruiters usually young with no direction in life, the old timers in the City banking recruitment game know the old veterans and can spot a potential and close in for the kill and forward you for roles.

    Also here is a tip: What many people IT chasing the investment banking contracts may not realise is that the business knowledge and technical skills are very specialised in different areas of finance so when you leave your last contract there may be no industry wide vancancies for say UNIX C++, FX derivatives developers with CORBA for many months to come, in other words the business knowledge you picked up at your last role is useless to other investment banks right now when you are looking for your next role, it makes it very difficult for you to obtain your next gig quickly.



    Your abrupt end at your investment bank is the same tale of woe that many will weave in this awful economic climate that we find ourselves in. My strong advice to you is don't see this IT contracting as the be all and end all. Don't waste your time waiting for the phone to ring, prepare for interviews as best you can and focus on plan b !
    Or do what I did switched to Telecoms
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

  7. #7

    Godlike

    chef is a permanent contractor

    chef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sverige
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You think you have a hard time with them. I have them working for me
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

  8. #8

    Super poster

    Wilmslow is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusoe101 View Post
    Are they born evil or is it life that makes them that way.


    Being a newbie to the contract market and having just had my first contract in an investment bank brought to an untimely end... I find myself back on the market.

    I have spoken to recruiters who do not want to put me forward for roles despite having 10 years experience and qualifications to boot......

    I have had a recruiter put me forward for a role I have already interviewed for, I might add without my consent almost blowing any chance I have of getting that GIG.

    Has any one else got any experiences to share or any helpful tips/words of wisdom they wish to share.......
    Sounds like you need to be a permie to weather the storm....

    Unless you have at LEAST 4 months permie money stashed to tide you through?

    Think carefully.

  9. #9

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,822

    Default

    I've heard horror stories from people who've worked for some recruitment firms. The working conditions are often horrendous, which isn't conducive to good agent/contractor relations. The agent/client relations, otoh, are often handled by the more senior guys. Junior agents are just sales staff. Their only IT knowledge is the keywords. And they frequently spell them incorrectly.
    Duct tape holds the universe together. In quantum chromodynamics it's known as the strong force. You get it in different colours, but metallic grey is best.

  10. #10

    More time posting than coding

    Tensai is too good to be a permie

    Tensai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Their only IT knowledge is the keywords. And they frequently spell them incorrectly.
    Even the acronyms... I remember getting asked if I "know" TPCIP, Tivilo, and (ISYN) VD.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •