• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't-believe-we-got-away-with-this thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    And just like plumbers. Tradesmen everywhere they just love telling you how stupid you were to use the idiot "what did that". These people really irritate me. Why cant they dispense with the humiliation bit identify the problem and then sort it out.
    I had an honest plumber once who admitted that he couldn't just slag off the original plumber, "cos it was me dad what did it".

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
      I'll start:

Them were the days - money for old rope!
      Hmm - I don't really want to talk about some of my "skeletons"

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        I don't think I'd trust someone who claims his whole career is an unmitigated success story.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          That peoplesoft stuff is not that bad. Fortunately you will be fused into a proper technology shortly

Comment

The last client I was at I wrote a access db to control the ordering for Central Europe. Thats around 600 stores a few billion pounds a year.

All the buyers have a sheet to "range" products. They select what they are going to buy selling prices click upload and it orders them for it.

Simple. Its how its written not what its made in.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              That peoplesoft stuff is not that bad. Fortunately you will be fused into a proper technology shortly
              Indeed - I am currently "stuck" on old versions - need to find a more cutting edge clientco in the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                The last client I was at I wrote a access db to control the ordering for Central Europe. Thats around 600 stores a few billion pounds a year.

All the buyers have a sheet to "range" products. They select what they are going to buy selling prices click upload and it orders them for it.

Simple. Its how its written not what its made in.
                spot on my friend.

*sockpuppet rises several notches in estimation*

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Yes but I believe that Access nowadays is a different beast to back then (does it use a form of SQL Server?).

In the past with JET you were essential using a single file with some attempt at locking and claiming it was an enterprise level database! This file also contained all the code.

Comment

Yes but I believe that Access nowadays is a different beast to back then (does it use a form of SQL Server?).

In the past with JET you were essential using a single file with some attempt at locking and claiming it was an enterprise level database! This file also contained all the code.
                    That's nothing, lad! There were plenty of tulip databases around in t'old days - we worked on one called Revelation based on Pick. In PC form it had zillions of files which contained a mixture of data and programs spread throughout - nice. We had some pretty big users too.

Comment

No, its still a stand alone product that can use odbc to link to most things, inluding itself. Locking has always been possible, but do it yourself rather than rely on the engine.

It was never a good idea to mix code with tables, anyone who was any good never did that!

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X