• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't-believe-we-got-away-with-this thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Them and Lotus Notes "databases" / applications.

I used to "code" them years ago
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

In their defence, and no I never wrote any app-bases, they did what they needed to do, brought mail merge and report generation to the masses and at a fraction of the cost of the big boy solutions. Also infinitely more flexible.

Wouldn't do it these days but can't help thinking if MS designed a Web version of Access based on a limited implementation of SQL Server and ASP.NET + IIS, they'd make yet more squillions. Probably not worth the investment for them in reality.

Anyone want to go into business with me to make it?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I frequently see crappy access databases like that, more often than not because the client is having a problem with it (again) and wants me to have a look when I've got a bit of spare time.

Usually my response is "Which idiot wrote this crap?"
        Which idiot wrote this crap - it is double my usual rate

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Which idiot wrote this crap - it is double my usual rate
          there was one chap on here a lonnnng time ago who claimed he was getting £60 an hour doing access at a pharma

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            The last client I was at I wrote a access db to control the ordering for Central Europe. Thats around 600 stores a few billion pounds a year.

All the buyers have a sheet to "range" products. They select what they are going to buy selling prices click upload and it orders them for it.

Simple. Its how its written not what its made in.
            How many forum posts did it take to get it working correctly?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
            X