• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is YourCo Ltd having a Christmas Do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Mr Ferret have you run this past your accountant? Methinks you would have a tough job selling this to hector!!!
    What if FerretCo was to make a lovely donation of a xmas hamper containing all the tasty treats mentioned above?

Comment

I'll probably just buy a case of champagne...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Mr Ferret have you run this past your accountant? Methinks you would have a tough job selling this to hector!!!
        He told me that with Hector you are guilty until proven innocent. I have taken date stamped photos of us enjoying our Xmas party on the date specified and have taken photos of all the remains being thrown away the day after. I have proved the party was held when stated and that nothing was used apart from the times stated. Accountant laughed at this - I took that as a good sign that my innocence would be proven

It is not loads of money so if they pick up on it then I am not that worried.
        my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          sorry to be a dampner, but u can't do this for an xmas party on HMRC

tasting menu £125 per head
          accompanying wine is either £60 or £95
          (+12.5% service charge)

HMRC xmas party rules say £150 per head and no more.. boooo
          To cheer you up again Dante you can (sorry Chef). I took Mrs Ravello to the Waterside Inn last year, total bill was c. £400. As Chef says, you can't claim the entire bill, but you can claim up to the £300 and pay the extra yourself.
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            you'll be stuffed by the end of it!

The sound of the sea is pretty cool.

For a different experience you might want to try the waterside inn, just down the road, the food is astounding, its another world compared with hestons caff.
            WHS.

The Fat Duck has good novelty value and is definitely an experience, but The Waterside Inn is a class above IMO.

Comment

I hope clientco does a kids party. The one last year was great.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
                To cheer you up again Dante you can (sorry Chef). I took Mrs Ravello to the Waterside Inn last year, total bill was c. £400. As Chef says, you can't claim the entire bill, but you can claim up to the £300 and pay the extra yourself.
                you might want to check with your accountant or read the HMRC website, the only reason im pointing it out isnt bah humbug reasons, i wanted to do this last year and was told by my accountant that it's not possible

"Exemption not allowance

The figure of £150 is not an allowance. For functions that are outside the scope of the exemption (see example at EIM21691) directors and employees, except those in an excluded employment, are chargeable on the full cost per head, not just the excess over £150, in respect of:

* themselves and
                * any members of their family and household who attend as guests."
                from HMRC website (link on 1st page)
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  you might want to check with your accountant or read the HMRC website, the only reason im pointing it out isnt bah humbug reasons, i wanted to do this last year and was told by my accountant that it's not possible

"Exemption not allowance

The figure of £150 is not an allowance. For functions that are outside the scope of the exemption (see example at EIM21691) directors and employees, except those in an excluded employment, are chargeable on the full cost per head, not just the excess over £150, in respect of:

* themselves and
                  * any members of their family and household who attend as guests."
                  from HMRC website (link on 1st page)
                  Apologies I stand, well sit, corrected. I spoke to my accountant (SJD) who said I could... Have to say that I didn't read up on it to check. Ah well, at worst I'll have to give Hector back roughly £100, shame but the meal was worth it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
                    Apologies I stand, well sit, corrected. I spoke to my accountant (SJD) who said I could... Have to say that I didn't read up on it to check. Ah well, at worst I'll have to give Hector back roughly £100, shame but the meal was worth it anyway
                    I have found that the "tax manual" (that's what my accountant calls it) that accountants refer to does not seem to be very informative in comparison with the hmrc website.

I was looking at doing an mba, got told that i could claim it through the company. I ended up sending him the link from the hmrc regarding mbas being a no no.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      What if FerretCo was to make a lovely donation of a xmas hamper containing all the tasty treats mentioned above?
                      That would then be treated as a BIK and then taxable no?

IANAA
                      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X