• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fork out £30 a year for .NET framework?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post

So £30 a year, business expense - not a huge amount but grates a little as it is lining Bill's pockets.
    Who promptly gives the whole lot to his charity. Chill, think of it as one less child with polio
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Well I'll defintitely stump up now - maybe even offer double!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
        Not a huge amount but an MS tax nontheless.

Was thinking of putting up a portal to showcase ASP.NET stuff - to try out new ideas and to use a portfolio for new work.

Most of the respected geeks that write books etc. seem to have straightforward static sites with code that you download, so is that the way to go do you think? Or should I have a ready made portal with links to various apps?
        I think you should definitely have live demos as well as code downloads. It may not be usual in the ASP.NET world (I haven't had to endure that misery for a while now, so I'm not sure who the big names are nowadays) but in the LAMP and front-end coding world, it's a given that you actually show stuff working, rather than just talking about it and offering a download.

All the regulars that publish books and speak on the conference circuit (in my world) do things that way. More to the point, it was doing things that way that brought them the opportunities to publish books and speak on the conference circuit

Comment

Working...
        X