• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do people say....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people say....

they worked at one of the big consultancies like it was a good thing?

Accenture for example produces some of the most retarded brain dead 'consultants' I have ever had the misfortune to meet, we has some involved in my last project and they look like little drones flittering all over the place warbling on in management speak about nothing. When they did eventually produce some work... it is hopeless...
    And they all are so proud of the little mobiles and laptops they get given.
    Look at SandyDown, she mentions how she has worked for 2 of the big 6 consultancies every chance she gets, like its a good thing?
    I reckn years of working for big lue chips ditrect is far better than the mindless dones you get form the consultancies.
    Yes - People want to see that you have no brain so they can bin your CV faster
    31.58%
    No - People can see you have no brain and can bin your CV faster
    26.32%
    AndyW owns Accenture and I love working for Andyw
    42.11%

Originally posted by tay View Post
    I reckn years of working for big lue chips ditrect is far better than the mindless dones you get form the consultancies.
    unfortunately - it doesn't help your spelling and grammar!
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
      unfortunately - it doesn't help your spelling and grammar!
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I guess for the same reason that clients will pay them more than they will pay you: because clients think there is something good about them.

Comment

I think there's a perception amongst permies that you must be good if you've worked for one of the big consultancies. I've got 5 years of IBM on my CV, most permies are quite impressed by it, whereas contractors just laugh at me.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I guess for the same reason that clients will pay them more than they will pay you: because clients think there is something good about them.
            Apart from the sales teams having short skirts?

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              I think there's a perception amongst permies that you must be good if you've worked for one of the big consultancies. I've got 5 years of IBM on my CV, most permies are quite impressed by it, whereas contractors just laugh at me.
              ha ha

mm I see what you mean
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I did a 2 year stint as a permie at "one of the big N consultancies" and I was worked very hard, for a relative pittance. They draft in grads, try to indoctrinate them, and charge them out for ridiculously exaggerated rates.

There's a lot of "face work" which is one of my biggest problems with office-based work, and focus on climbing through the ranks.

One project I worked on was averaging 70 hours per week, for 3 months.
                Call me a wuss, but if you have to plan on nearly everyone on the team working double their contracted hours for three months, you've got planning problems.

On the plus side, there's usually a lot of training offered, and quite a lot of "client facing" experience for relatively young workers, which I think fuels the (over) confidence of some of the staff (for some reason "client facing" skills are lauded as some sort of holy grail, but as far as I've experienced, this simply means the ability to not mumble in a meeting, and prepare properly).

I'm still good friends with a few people from my time there, and there is a tendency (especially as many of the consultants have only worked in the one company since Uni) to think of their company as the be-all and end-all. They have a hard time escaping the "we're number one" message that's forced down their gullets daily.

Comment

Hmm, don't know, I've got mixed thoughts about that one. I'm currently working with an ex-KPMG security chap who is very, very good, but then I've also worked on a project for one of them where I was leading a team of kids straight out of Uni. Very intelligent the lot of them, but absolutely no idea about dealing with the customer or how things work in the real world.

Yes they could code till the sun went down, but they couldn't install a printer.

As for SandyDown, don't know what he/she is like technically, but I think they're a ***** on here.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Why do people say.........

agree with Tay , but DiscoStu has a point: perception is the whole game. People go by appearances and in this case they think because you come from a global brand that has posh offices all over the place, you must know what you are talking about.
                    Worked with a chap from one of the Top 5 recently who spoke a good game, but produced pitiful stuff when it came to teh crunch and it was all dressed up with graphs and diagrams but short on actual substance.
                    .....my day will come

Comment

Working...
                    X