• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starbucks profits dive by 97%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It costs thousands and thousands to rent a shop on a popular street, plus thousands and thousands even for cheap staff. They are no more expensive than Nero or other places anyway are they?
    I know there will be exceptions, but I always find the high street brand coffee shops to be clean and not smell too strongly of old mops and backroom ciggies.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It costs thousands and thousands to rent a shop on a popular street, plus thousands and thousands even for cheap staff. They are no more expensive than Nero or other places anyway are they?
      Have you asked yourself why so many coffee shops appeared all around the world? Same with mobile phone retailers. The reason is ridiculous markup that they make.

I've seen plenty of news shops next to Starbucks selling newspapers, sweets and lots of other things for reasonable prices (ok more than supermarket but not by much), their rent is surely the same yet they don't charge exorbitant prices.

There are too many of those shops around - it goes against economic common sense and was only made possible because of the "good decade" when people were buying all sort of junk without checking value of the products and services they bought for their money. Now thats changing and Starbucks is losing money big time.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        There are too many of those shops around - it goes against economic common sense and was only made possible because of the "good decade" when people were buying all sort of junk without checking value of the products and services they bought for their money. Now thats changing and Starbucks is losing money big time.
        I agree with that. With a false sense of wealth, people were prepared to spend a lot of money on buying a brand. That's what Starbucks is: most of the price, and most of the attraction, is not the coffee but the brand.

Comment

Working...
        X