• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One space or two after a full-stop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    It was always two spaces 20-something years ago when I first learned to use a typewriter and I guess I've just kept on doing it.
    Ditto
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Can't imagine why IT types are branded nerds with a thread of this calibre.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post

It would be geeky if there was a poll on whether to use spaces or tabs when formatting code
        Personally, I'm a spaces man (preserves formatting between editors)
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

three

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
            Just the one. Though "back in the day" my mum used to use a typewriter and was always taught two.
            Indeed, there are good reasons why typewriter rules are not the same as PC/word processor rules.

Comment

I'm surprised you consider the correct presentation of a document nerdy.

Perhaps you work in sales?

Comment

Spacing after full stop

There are three main conventions relating to the number of spaces used to separate sentences within the same paragraph:
                • one widened space, typically two to three times wider than an inter-word space (traditional typography)
                • two spaces (English Spacing or American Typewriter Spacing) The two spaces convention was brought out by the use of monospaced font on typewriters, and carried on solely by tradition. Most fonts used in word processors since the mid 1990's have the correct spacing already adjusted, rendering the traditional double space after a full stop obsolete.
                • one space (French Spacing)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

WHS

I'm enjoying the responses though.

If any of you geeks want to join Xeno's How to be Cool Club, send me a PM.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                    The big question is: space or no space before an ellipsis ... ?
                    It depends on the context.

If you are using the ellipsis within the same sentence, then no space; if you are using the ellipsis between sentences, then include a space beforehand.

That's what CMOS says, anyway.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

WHS +++

Comment

Working...
                      X