• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One space or two after a full-stop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Right, hands up if you've ever set metal type by hand and operated a traditional printing press?

Just me? Thought so...

Right, so traditionally there are six thicknesses of space: em (which is square for the font size), en (half-em), thick (one-third em), mid (one-quarter em), thin (one-fifth em) and hair space (one point or less).

Assuming unjustified text, the traditional indents (in the UK and US) are:

word spacing: thick (one-third em);
    sentence spacing: en (one-half em);
    paragraph indent: em (one em).

With the advent of the typewriter, which used a monospace font because of its mechanical limitations, it became impossible to have a thick space between words and an en space between sentences. Therefore the custom was adopted of using two spaces to separate sentences.

Note that this custom only made sense in the context of the limitations of a device mechanically constrained to monospaced characters. This constraint does not apply to modern technology.

However, early WYSIWYG word processors capable of using proportional-width fonts still tended to only provide one width of space, so the practice persisted. Modern phototypesetting systems, and systems such as TeX, are I believe capable of automatically increasing the width of a space at the end of a sentence, but I'm not sure if such things as Word are capable of doing this. If such an option is, in fact, buried somewhere in its many configuration options then it renders the use of two spaces redundant: simply configure your software appropriately to expand the single space to the desired width.

If there is no such option, then you have a choice: continue to use two spaces as an approximation to the typesetting style of Victorian printers as adapted to the mechanical typewriter, or use one.

As with so many matters of style, it doesn't actually matter which you choose as long as you are consistent. There is no "right" or "wrong" way; it's a matter of personal preference.

Working within an organisation one should, of course, adopt their house style - if they have one. If they don't, consider forming a committee to formulate one - it's probably more interesting than working.

Here endeth the history lesson
    Nick,

Is there any realm in which you are not a complete anorak?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Nick,

Is there any area in which you are not a complete anorak?
      <NickFitz>
      This kind of garment, originally made from caribou or seal was invented by the Caribou Inuit, Inuit (Eskimo) of the Arctic region, who needed clothing that would protect them from wind chill and wet while hunting and kayaking. The word anorak comes from the Kalaallisut word anoraq, while the word parka is of Aleut origin. Certain types of Inuit anoraks have to be regularly coated with fish oil to keep their water resistance.

The words anorak and parka are now often used interchangeably, but when first introduced, they described somewhat different garments, and the distinction is still maintained by some. Strictly speaking, an anorak is a waterproof jacket with a hood and drawstrings at the waist and cuffs, and a parka is a knee-length cold-weather jacket or coat; typically stuffed with down or very warm synthetic fiber, and with a fur-lined hood. Originally an anorak specifically implied a pull-over jacket without a zipper, button or frogged opening, but this distinction is now largely lost, and many garments with a full-length front opening are now described as anoraks. The anorak and parka have been developed from their traditional forms into a number of different designs using modern materials, notably the Fishtailand Snorkel parkas and the Cagoule, a form of lightweight anorak.
      </NickFitz>
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Nick,

Is there any realm in which you are not a complete anorak?

I can't fix my car when it breaks...

Comment

Chavs use one space, and well bred individuals like myself use two!

HTH

Comment

OK I'll stick with TWO spaces after a full-stop!

And that's final

Comment

Working...
            X