• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ghosts! Ever seen one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghosts! Ever seen one?

Can you recommend a decent "haunted house" to visit?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Plas Teg - North Wales

Not a believer myself, but well worth a visit. Judge Jefferies hung many a child here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Can you recommend a decent "haunted house" to visit?
      Pretty skeptical myself, but the wife (who is otherwise quite level-headed) swore she saw a ghost in our old house years ago. The house was a victorian semi but was built on the site of a much older hospital.

She saw a small woman of indeterminate age 'dressed in rags' cross the upstairs landing one night. It came in through one wall and went out through the other.

It did put the wind up me, mainly because wife was so obviously shocked by it.

I tried to offer all kinds of 'logical explanations' but was at a bit of a loss, really.

For haunted houses, try:

http://www.caerphilly.gov.uk/llancai...lish/home.html

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

You could visit my "former marital home". My ex still depresses the current(currant?) occupants.

Comment

We were supposed to have had one of an old woman in the field behind our house. My brother claims to have seen her. Also, when the old guy who owned the place before we bought it we had some really odd things happen which I can't explain.

The first happened one night while my folks were out and I was looking after my brothers. I was tired so I decided to have a kip on the sofa until they came back. I turned the lights low and put a record on (old timer alert!!). As I was watching the needle before it made its way onto the tracks the lights suddenly went full on. I assumed it was one of my brothers and ran up the stairs. When I got to their room, both were sound asleep. There was nobody else in the house. When I checked the dimmer, thinking it may have been a power surge, the dimmer was up full.

The next one was one night when I was getting some coal for the fire to damp it down. We had a door which led from our lounge to the barn, where we kept the coal. I was carrying the heavy coal skuttle back into the house when I felt a push on my back, right where your belt is. I shouted to tell my brother to pi55 off, but as I looked round he was at the opposite end of the barn and there was no way he could have pushed me.

Then my sister was woken up my somebody touching her shoulder. She claims it was a small fat bloke.

The best one was when my sister came running into my room babbling on about the lights downstairs. Apparantly she had turned them all off before she went to the loo. Then when she came out they were all on. We were the only 2 up at this point and I know it wasn't me. It could have been her though as she is pretty thick.

There were a few other little things but they were the main ones and they happened pretty much as soon as he was burnt. Once his wife moved out of the area they stopped.

What is odd about this is the guy was a teacher in Manchester in his younger days. He used to wait for a bus on Ashton Old Road (not a nice place and pretty busy). When it was raining he used to shelter in the doorway of a shop. My mum owned that shop.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Anyone remember the magazine "Unexpalined". Anyway, was about 11 and a mate came around to listen to the voices from the dead free record.

Voices like.. who is there?..."Winston Churchill" etc

Record played until the end, stylus picks up and goes back to the rest to switch off the playing mechanism. It wasn't possible to play a record without pulling down the big clunky switch.... except this time! The machine turned itself back on and the stylus dumped itself in the middle of the record on one of the spooky voices.

We sh1t ourselves and ran out of the house screaming.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

To this day I am still very sceptical of what I saw – but I do not distrust my own eyes!!!

This is a true story

A late night at the old White horse pub in Billson Leicestershire, It was after hours as I was leaving when I noticed an old lady sitting in the corner who looked up at me and smiled – I actually returned the gestured and said good night to her.

In the car park I asked the Landlords daughter who was the old lady sitting in the corner? – which old lady every one replied? Every one laughed at me – there was no old lady so I went back into the pub – it was empty?

To this day I am troubled – this was not a fleeting glance – I communicated with the old lady - call me daft – but I think that this was a ghost.

There is more to this story about the pub and the old lady – I qm not the only one to have seen her.
              www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

A poll conducted in Britain by retailer Choice UK shows that 68 percent of Britons believe in ghosts and spirits, while 55 percent say they believe in the existence of God.

12 percent of ghost believers claimed to have seen an apparition while 76% admitted that their beliefs in ghosts were fueled by reality television shows and films about the supernatural.

The polls findings also points to 26% of Britons believing in UFOs and 19 percent believe in reincarnation, the lowest scoring phenomena however turned out to be Scotland’s the Loch Ness monster with just 4% of Britons believing in it’s existence.
                www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

My son told me he woke up one night, and he could "see" an evil presence in the room. "Get out of here" he said. It left. A few minutes later, he heard my daughter (and she confirmed it) saying "Get out of this house and never come back". And then she went back to sleep.

We taught them from an early age how to deal with the supernatural.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

In the fledgling period of my relationship with my wife I was at my mother-in-law's and saw two girls stood at the top of the stairs out of the corner of my eyes.

I mentioned it to them and supposedly they are quite a common sight to new guests, even without mentioning them in advance.

The house is really old anyway, there are random pockets of cold in there but I personally put that down to the age of the place. However, I can't explain how things go missing in there - say you're looking for your car keys and you look on the dining table. They're not there, so you look in some other places, can't find them and look on the dining table... and there they are, in clear view.

Even worse is when you try your pockets first (i.e. physically putting both hands right into your pockets) and eventually find them in there after all a few minutes later...

Comment

Working...
                    X