• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stephen Fry in USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    ...It's almost as embarassing to say you like the US these days as to admit you're a Christian or a terrorist or something.
    As a Something American Christian Freedom Fighter, I couldn't agree more.

I loved the bit where Fry got a bit pissed in the distillary.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I like Stephen Fry but Simon Schama's series on America has been far more interesting (but then it's history rather than froth)
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Froth can be good!
        except on coffee of course.
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          I like Stephen Fry but Simon Schama's series on America has been far more interesting (but then it's history rather than froth)
          Not seen the Schama series but looking at the bio it doesn't scream out interesting, must watch to me. It also appears to have a much narrower focus than the Fry series.

Episode 1: A look at America's waning belief in the infinite possibilities of its land and resources.

Episode 2: A look at how different the US attitude to war is from what outsiders assume it to be.

Episode 3: How faith has shaped American political life.

Episode 4: The bitter conflict over immigration in America.

Comment

There was an interesting but about how Texas being stolen from The Mexicans, contrasting against how some present day Texans are protesting about the immigrants from Mexico
            "they seem to think it was theirs"
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              The Jock-straps have always held a morbid fascination with the Septics, must be an ancestral Celt thing I suppose.
              When does jokery verge on racism?

You're right on one level, though. The US was primarily a celtic expedition, the oppressed and the poor (i.e. the celts from the British isles) went to America and made it big. Eventually they had to split from the English.

If the celts have an affinity with Americans it's because they are us, n generations on.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
              X