• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding cheap taxis to/from airports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding cheap taxis to/from airports

I may be travelling to Hilversum, Holland. Would probably fly from Newcastle/Teeside to Amsterdam, leaving me about 30km to travel. http://www.taxireservation.nl quotes me €67 for that one-way trip, which seems extortionate. I think any special 'airport' pickup charges a lot, is there anyway I can either book more cheaply in advance or at least figure out how much it would cost to jump in a cab at the airport?

In the UK, I'd expect to pay more like £25 for that trip I reckon...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I can't speak for Holland, but the official taxis in Spain add 10 Euros for any journey that starts or ends at the airport. Wouldn't be surprised if other countries do something similar.

Comment

you're taking it then?

i'd use the train from schiphol to hilversum if i were you.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I may be travelling to Hilversum, Holland. Would probably fly from Newcastle/Teeside to Amsterdam, leaving me about 30km to travel. http://www.taxireservation.nl quotes me €67 for that one-way trip, which seems extortionate. I think any special 'airport' pickup charges a lot, is there anyway I can either book more cheaply in advance or at least figure out how much it would cost to jump in a cab at the airport?

In the UK, I'd expect to pay more like £25 for that trip I reckon...
        Doesn't seem that bad. If I wanted to go to Stanstead from Teddington (a similar trip, although I'd probably want to kill myself first) a cabbie would charge me about £40-50.

In Holland most airport cars are actually quite pleasant, so €67 to go 30km doesn't seem that bad really.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          you're taking it then?

And WHS.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

taxis in holland are generally pretty expensive

use the www.ns.nl site to find the train times (there is an english version, hit the english link)
            Looks like its about €7 each way, the dutch railway system has a very simple fare structure, there is no price benefit in booking ahead

In the 11 months I was working in Holland the trains only screwed up 2 or 3 times
            Last edited by Spacecadet; 12 November 2008, 10:24.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              you're taking it then?

Well remembered Still considering, got as far as agreeing an interview.
              Hadn't even considered the train... too used to rural England where you have to pay £20 to get a taxi to the train station in the first place!

Has anyone been to Hilversum by the way?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hadn't even considered the train... too used to rural England where you have to pay £20 to get a taxi to the train station in the first place!

Nope, but wikipedia seems to suggest it will be full of meedja types...

Comment

Use the train or hire a car. Is this for travel just for interview? Are they paying expenses - then taxi,

Personally, I would insist on tele interview and save all the cost/hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    taxis in holland are generally pretty expensive

use the www.ns.nl site to find the train times (there is an english version, hit the english link)
                    Looks like its about €7 each way, the dutch railway system has a very simple fare structure, there is no price benefit in booking ahead

In the 11 months I was working in Holland the trains only screwed up 2 or 3 times
                    The tickets are more expensive (only 50cents I think) if bought from the counter, and of course may take longer to buy. Some machines only take Dutch cards or Maestro (record is patchy on Maestro too), some take foreign Visa etc as well. Schiphol has both so if it doesn't work try another.

If you buy a ticket valid today, that's it; if you buy one with longer validity, it costs the same, but you have to validate it at entry to the platform.

Comment

Working...
                    X