• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment not received.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment not received.

After finishing a contract, I have not received my payment from the agency through whom I had the contract with.

What routes are available to me to chase the payment as a debt both as a contractor and the director of my Ltd company.

Thank you.

www.payontime.co.uk

Speak to the agency and ask why you haven't been paid yet.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Start with phone calls. If that doesn't get you anywhere, tell them a date when you'll turn up at their office expecting a cheque, and then do go, and stay until you get paid or they call the cops. That's the furthest I've ever had to go.

Comment

As TheFaQQer said, ask them why it hasn't been paid. If you are opted in to the agency regulations and they say they haven't been paid by the client tell them you are legally obliged to payment anyway.

If they just drag their heels, send them a letter by recorded delivery demand a reasonable amount of days before payment or you'll take them to the small claims court. And maybe turn up at their office, as thunderlizard says. Unless you punch someone the police won't get involved as it's a civil and not a criminal matter.

Comment

How long was the contract ? did they pay you anything at all ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I saw someone suggesting in another thread, relating to similar matters, about getting a winding up order issued.

Not sure if it's the right approach, just something I stored in the ram pack incase I ever get any more aggro off a non-paying agency, particularly after a contract where you don't care about any ongoing 'relationship'.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              I saw someone suggesting in another thread, relating to similar matters, about getting a winding up order issued.

Not sure if it's the right approach, just something I stored in the ram pack incase I ever get any more aggro off a non-paying agency, particularly after a contract where you don't care about any ongoing 'relationship'.
              You have to go through certain steps to get the money first - like taking them to court for it, winning the case, and then them not paying against the judgment. After that, you can go back to court and get a winding up order.

First call is to speak to the agency and find out why they haven't paid, though. Might also be worth doing a credit check to see how that looks, just in case.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

According to the agency they are waiting to be paid by the client.

Going ahead now with a letter say pay by or else.

Do I need to chase the agent only for the payment or can I chase the client too?

Comment

Originally posted by monkquito View Post
                  According to the agency they are waiting to be paid by the client.

Going ahead now with a letter say pay by or else.

Do I need to chase the agent only for the payment or can I chase the client too?
                  Your contract is with the agency. They are the only people you can chase (although the law of tort suggests that you might be able to chase the client, if my law101 course is to be remembered correctly )

Did you opt out of the agency regulations, in writing, before you were introduced to the client? If not, then this is a moot point, and the agency has to pay you regardless of whether they have received payment or not.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Not heard a dicky bird since my demand of payment letter was sent and the deadline is nearly up.

Should I know go to small claims court and/or issue a ccj?

If so does anyone know how I should initiate these routes of action?

Comment

Working...
                    X