• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recession Row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recession Row

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...unch-recession

It is a scene that would not look out of place in Soviet-era Belarus. Rank with weeds, parkland is dotted with burst pallets of bricks, drink cans, and a builder's broken barrow. A burnt-out car was recently towed away. Streetlights are missing or faulty on some roads. The new community centre is fenced off, its glass doors shattered by stones.

Welcome to Arbury Park, a "contemporary, attractive and vibrant" private development of 900 homes in affluent Cambridge. Residents lured here by jobs in the nearby science park and the developer's promise of a sustainable suburb boasting green spaces, shops, and excellent public transport are instead living in a desolate landscape created by the recession.

With 380 homes completed, two of the three big construction firms, Persimmon and Martin Grant Homes, have downed tools because of the meltdown in the housing market, leaving residents surrounded by large swaths of a derelict construction site.

Antisocial behaviour has flourished. Residents, many with young families, complain of hooded gangs roaming the streets and robbing garden sheds. "We've had trouble with kids throwing stones at the house when we moved in. The builders left loads of rubble outside which is ammunition for them," said Emma Wren. "There are no pavements so you can't walk along with a buggy. Even walking to the bus stop you have to go through long grass and weeds."

Sounds lovely.

Wot no pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Wot no pics?
      It's the Guardian, it's tulip.

Comment

So my prediction that these developments were the slums of the future have come true, alarmingly quicker than I thought though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
          So my prediction that these developments were the slums of the future have come true, alarmingly quicker than I thought though.
          Yep.

Comment

You can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Wot no pics?
              Here you go

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                Wow I didn't know Cambridge was THAT bad !

Comment

http://www.insidearburypark.org.uk/R...3/Default.aspx

Comment

I do wish the DAily Mail covered this story - I want to know what the houses are worth......

Comment

Working...
                    X