• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment - not enough money to pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    very roughly

(income - 30k) * 0.15

After corp tax?

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
      After corp tax?
      yup, pay all your normal taxes, then (in the uk) , around about now, do the calc and get the money ready for january.
      Its a VERY rough calc, but it works for me.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
        After corp tax?
        Yes.
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
          Every divi I pay is split. 60% to me 40% to the 'tax' savings account. Come Hector's payday I give him his pound of flesh and usually there is a little tickle left over for me.
          If you're putting away 40% of each divi you should have more than a 'little tickle' left over after hector comes-a-calling... You should be left with roughly half of what you've put aside.
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

How about not spending every single penny of your income every month? Haven't you got a couple of quid in a savings account?

Comment

I hate the self-assessment. Takes me three hours working out that I owe them 96 pence.

Trying the online one this year. Couldn't be arsed getting the paper one in for October (so they've a head start with the investigations no doubt), and hopefully it'll do all the damn calculations for me, most of which just end up cancelling each other out.

How do I 'get away' with only pennies to pay?

- take divvies but avoid going into top tax band (so corp tax takes care of that one)
              - pay minimum wage (so PAYE takes care of that one)
              - claim rest I need as expenses

Also helps to build up a war chest (by leaving the excess in the company account) for potential prolonged bench time or for losing on dodgy plan Bs.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                Do you normally take divvies out of your company to pay your Self Assesment bill?
                Or are you more organised than that, putting money aside in your personal bank account?

Has anyone ever not had enough money to pay? What did you do?
                keep your income below the 40% tax threshold

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  SallyAnne, is this post connected to a post you made some time back where you said you spend what you turnover and then when your tax bill is due you start saving for it?
                  Nobody is that stupid
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Nobody is that stupid
                    Ken Dodd?

Comment

Get a flexible mortgage if you can, it solves a lot of problems in terms of cashflow.
                      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X