• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GBP against the Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    We are talking not of distant empire but of a close neighbour that had been assimilated, and wanted its independence back. In that vein:
    50-60 years is not distant at all. Distant would be Roman Empire.

Belgium from Netherlands.
    Norway from Sweden. Greenland, more or less, from Denmark.

Those were not empires dude! You are comparing British Empire that I think was the biggest in history of this planet against effectively close neighbours that had some historical fights. Your examples do not qualify size-wise - it's not even in the same ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      50-60 years is not distant at all. Distant would be Roman Empire.

Those were not empires dude! You are comparing British Empire that I think was the biggest in history of this planet against effectively close neighbours that had some historical fights. Your examples do not qualify size-wise - it's not even in the same ballpark.
      No sir, YOU are comparing empires, I am talking about secession. Scotland was never a part of the British Empire, it is part of Britain. I put that in bold because that is crucial. All of my other examples were likewise not of imperial possessions but of parts of a country, which wanted to secede.

Belgium was part of the Netherlands, wanted to secede, and was allowed to do so.
      Norway was part of Sweden, wanted to secede, and was allowed to do so.

Ireland was part of Britain, wanted to seced, and was not allowed to do so.

So my point is, if Scotland, which is part of Britain, should at some time want to secede, will it be allowed to do so?

Comment

No sir, YOU are comparing empires, I am talking about secession. Scotland was never a part of the British Empire, it is part of Britain. I put that in bold because that is crucial. All of my other examples were likewise not of imperial possessions but of parts of a country, which wanted to secede.
        It's a tad more difficult for the biggest empire on Earth to allow secession don't you think? Empires are characterised by large acquired territory rather than anything else, the British I think was the largest ever and it allowed to go most of colonies without war recently and maintains good relationship with most of them, which is a rarity.

There are plenty of countries that have got more or less separatists regions - say in Spain, and elsewhere, it's not a unique problem of England you know. What is unique is that England was the core member of Empire that allowed huge territories to go free pretty recently. That example how to do it should have been taken into account when USSR collapsed.

Comment

Because their government decided to use some of its money for those things rather than for whatever it is that your government spends its money on.

Why assume that because Scots "get" these things "free", they "get" then "free" from England?

Scots also get better health care and more spent on roads than others per head in the UK. This money comes from all UK taxpayers, and it is more than 1,000 pounds spent per head than in England. Please have independence and take Brown with you !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            Please have independence and take Brown with you !!
            And take half the cabinet with him, if the condition for Scottish independence would be for those people to be jailed indefinately in Scotland then I'd vote for it and I am sure so will half of England!

Comment

Working...
            X