Juggling contract applications Juggling contract applications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,049

    Default Juggling contract applications

    I'm actively chasing 3 different contracts with 3 different agencies. I had an interview for one yesterday, and I believe the other two are genuine and will probably want to interview me (agents not asking for spurious references or anything suspicious).
    The one I already interviewed for is probably the one I'd want least... which makes things complicated should they call and offer me it before I at least get an interview set up on the others.
    I figure I could reasonably say "I have an interview tomorrow for another role, I will decide after that", although I'm sure agents won't like it. But I don't know any other stalling techniques and it seems foolish to turn down an offer on the strength of 2 probable interviews.
    I am using the interview I already had to rush the other guys to get things sorted one way or the other, but that's the only plus... has anyone got any tips on tactics/strategy? I can afford not to take any of the 3 contracts if it all goes wrong.

  2. #2

    Banned

    badger7579 has no reputation


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Up S*** creek
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm actively chasing 3 different contracts with 3 different agencies. I had an interview for one yesterday, and I believe the other two are genuine and will probably want to interview me (agents not asking for spurious references or anything suspicious).
    The one I already interviewed for is probably the one I'd want least... which makes things complicated should they call and offer me it before I at least get an interview set up on the others.
    I figure I could reasonably say "I have an interview tomorrow for another role, I will decide after that", although I'm sure agents won't like it. But I don't know any other stalling techniques and it seems foolish to turn down an offer on the strength of 2 probable interviews.
    I am using the interview I already had to rush the other guys to get things sorted one way or the other, but that's the only plus... has anyone got any tips on tactics/strategy? I can afford not to take any of the 3 contracts if it all goes wrong.
    I've been in this situation and my advice is if you have an offer on the table go with it. You must have wanted it initially as you went to the interview. A promise of an interview in which you may not get an offer is nothing. You can easily loose all of them if you ditther around.

    My advice make a decision and stick with it. Dont let the agents try to change your mind once you have made a decision (as they did with me and then got arsey when I turned them down).

  3. #3

    Banned

    Bob Dalek is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    Bird in the hand, etc.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    ratewhore has no reputation

    ratewhore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The dark disturbing corner of your mind
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Just tell the first agency that you accept the gig subject to agreement of the terms and conditions. That gives you scope for looking at the others...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badger7579 View Post
    You must have wanted it initially as you went to the interview.
    They were happy with a phone interview - I don't believe there is a final interview step (although I could be wrong).

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    b0redom has more data than eek

    b0redom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Your legal advisors will need to check out the contract for IR35 clauses won't they? That's bound to take a couple of days.....

  7. #7

    Banned

    badger7579 has no reputation


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Up S*** creek
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    They were happy with a phone interview - I don't believe there is a final interview step (although I could be wrong).
    So you dont have an offer, my mistake. Well until you do you have no problem.

  8. #8

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratewhore View Post
    Just tell the first agency that you accept the gig subject to agreement of the terms and conditions. That gives you scope for looking at the others...
    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Your legal advisors will need to check out the contract for IR35 clauses won't they? That's bound to take a couple of days.....
    WTS.

    If you get job one, tell them that it's subject to agreeing their terms and conditions, and a return of a signed contract. This will need to include a check by a legal team to review the contract.

    Ensuring that you are only accepting subject to a signed contract being agreed gives you plenty of freedom, plus it also means that the agency needs to pull their finger out to get the paperwork sorted for you ASAP, rather than leaving it to the last possible minute and then dropping an IR35 unfriendly contract on you under the usual "we can sort it out next week once you are on site" argument.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  9. #9

    Fingers like lightning

    JoJoGabor is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    888

    Default

    I verbally accepted an offer once to the agent while I still had one interview to go as I knew they would put more candidates forward if I dawdled. When I got offered the second one a day later I took that one and phones the agent to apologise to say I wouldn't be taking the first one. They were mighty annoyed, but are helpless. It probably soured my chances with that client in the future, but it works both ways. Agents and other potential clients have said to me in the past that they are "still deciding" on me and can I hold on, while they are blatently interviewing more people.

    Always look after number one!
    Its a dog eat dog world

  10. #10

    Prehistoric

    thunderlizard is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,826

    Default

    Tell the other two you're likely to be unavailable soon unless they get their skates on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •