• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the board show posters IP addresses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    However, you can make it not worthwhile for people to create multiple ID's.
    You make it sound as if it's worthwhile for people to create a single ID

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      You'd have to be extremely sad, if not borderline certifiable to do that on a regular basis.
      agreed

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        The sock-puppetry nonsense is getting completely out of hand!

Should the board be modified to show the IP address of the poster, or perhaps a hash of the IP, so that we can see exactly who's who?

I know that IP addresses are not totally reliable, but it would make the obvious sockpuppets stick out like a sore thumb, unless they went to exceptional lengths to change IPs between posts.
        Not one of your better ideas. Next.

Comment

I know that the puppeteering on the board can be annoying but I would like to assure you that there is less of this than you may imagine. We do keep an active eye on posting habits and IP information to make sure not too much of this goes on.

We do let the odd "comedy" ID through from regular users and as long as they remain low-key and are not used to annoy other users then don't feel they are a big problem.

In terms of displaying IP information. We will not display a hashed version or partial IP as this information can be very misleading. We have posters here who work for very large organisations and where two or more users access the site from the same company (not always even the same site) then this could cause assumptions to be made over the identity of individuals on the board.

Two regular posters who are completely different in posting style, mannerism, time of posting etc often post from the same IP. I did ask them about their identity and was satisfied with the answers I got, almost to the point of feeling dumb for asking... So to make this information visible to all could cause all manner of problems and accusations. Also as stated if someone really wants to run multiple IDs then they can run multiple browsers or remote machines to do hide their activities so again shows that this is not a good solution.

Please do trust us to check these things out for you and rest assured that we do weed multiple IDs out when we find them. As always if you have concerns about particular users then just PM us or use the contact form and we will happily take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            We do let the odd "comedy" ID through from regular users and as long as they remain low-key and are not used to annoy other users then don't feel they are a big problem.
            I find atw's fem bots (Nina, Paula) etc very annoying - will they be banned? Shall I put up a poll to see how many people they annoy? I reckon it will be 90% plus - unless admin decides to use their vote which counts for 100

Comment

I know that the puppeteering on the board can be annoying but I would like to assure you that there is less of this than you may imagine. We do keep an active eye on posting habits and IP information to make sure not too much of this goes on.

In terms of displaying IP information. We will not display a hashed version or partial IP as this information can be very misleading. We have posters here who work for very large organisations and where two or more users access the site from the same company (not always even the same site) then this could cause assumptions to be made over the identity of individuals on the board.

Two regular posters who are completely different in posting style, mannerism, time of posting etc often post from the same IP. I did ask them about their identity and was satisfied with the answers I got, almost to the point of feeling dumb for asking... So to make this information visible to all could cause all manner of problems and accusations. Also as stated if someone really wants to run multiple IDs then they can run multiple browsers or remote machines to do hide their activities so again shows that this is not a good solution.

Please do trust us to check these things out for you and rest assured that we do weed multiple IDs out when we find them. As always if you have concerns about particular users then just PM us or use the contact form and we will happily take a look.

another bot taking the mickey

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I find atw's fem bots (Nina, Paula) etc very annoying - will they be banned? Shall I put up a poll to see how many people they annoy? I reckon it will be 90% plus - unless admin decides to use their vote which counts for 100
                See, classic assumption. I know who they belong to and they are not AtW...

Comment

See, classic assumption. I know who they belong to and they are not AtW...
                  The nun is though

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    The nun is though
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

See, 1 min after my post she appeared from nowhere. Easy hon, you will hurt yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X