• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Clearance

Client wants me to put me through a basic clearance.As per my knowledge one needs to have 3 years residence in the UK to get one.I am 2 months short of it!!...

Does the panel think that the clearance authorities might show a bit of flexibility/discretion and grant me clearance(I don't have any criminal record or tickets or CCJs) or it is usually an outright denial....??

I've had a quick look at the guidlines for BPPS (apparently it's no longer BC) and I can't find any reference to having to be resident for 3 years, only having 3 years checkable work history. All I could find is this:

Where an individual has been overseas for 6 months or more during the previous 3 years, every effort should be made to obtain a reference
    from the overseas employer.
    (Talking about documents that need to be checked)
    For non-British citizens:

• Full European Economic Area (EEA) or other passport, or a Home
    Office document confirming the individual’s UK immigration status (for
    non-EEA nationals).
    • Work Permit/visa issued within the past 12 months.
    It's worth noting for future reference that in such matters there's rarely any flexibility if you don't meet the criteria.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

When I had SC I worked with some Aussies who couldn't get SC as they hadn't been here 3+ years - but they got BC fine (or at least in the time it took for the wonks to process it).

Comment

Cheers Guys...how long does a BC normally take to get?

Comment

Originally posted by valluvan View Post
          I last had it done about 4 years ago and it took about 3 weeks IIRC.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by valluvan View Post
            Depending who does it from a few days to a week or two, it's a glorified ID check and not carried out by the DVA.
            Incidentally BC (as it used to be called) isn't transferrable between employers so as soon as you finish with the contract it lapses, the same applies if you change agencies or go direct, it has to be redone.

Comment

Roll on the National ID card. Then we wont have to put up with all this nonsense. We will all be identified to hell, and cleared up to 00 standard with a licence to kill.

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 14 November 2008, 08:09.
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Depending who does it from a few days to a week or two, it's a glorified ID check and not carried out by the DVA.
                Incidentally BC (as it used to be called) isn't transferrable between employers so as soon as you finish with the contract it lapses, the same applies if you change agencies or go direct, it has to be redone.
                I never realised that my identity was so ephemeral: change jobs and I might not be the same person any more?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Roll on the National ID card. Then we wont have to put up with all this nonsense. We will all be identified to hell, and cleared up to 00 standard with a licence to kill.

coool. Do i get a PPK?
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    coool. Do i get a PPK?
                    You would have, but with government cost savings you will now be issued with a bag of assorted rubber bands which to flick as assorted villains.

And the bond-babes: well, been to Grimsby on a Friday night recently?

Comment

Working...
                    X