• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebay sniping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay sniping

FFS - auctions should auto-extend if someone bids at the last moment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    ha ha

You should bid what you're willing up front then. Plank.

Comment

Lose out on that keyboard?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Lose out on that keyboard?
        I just bid again on another same keyboard (could be same guy) - cost me £5 to win it, £9 delivery - the other one the sniping idiot won it for £26 + £9 delivery, I bid max £20

Bidding at the last minute should auto extend auction at least by an hour - this should be, at the very least, option for sellers to specify for their auction.
        Last edited by AtW; 17 November 2008, 14:02.

Comment

I just bid again on another same keyboard (could be same guy) - cost me £5 to win it, £9 delivery - the other one the sniping idiot won it for £26 + £9 delivery, I bid max £20

Bidding at the last minute should auto extend auction at least by an hour - this should be, at the very least, option for sellers to specify for their auction.
          If the sniper got it for £26, there must have been others willing to pay more than £20, so you would have lost out either way wouldn't you?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Can't understand the problem. An auction must have an end point where someone wins? On Ebay I just enter the maximum I'm willing to pay then forget about it unless I get an email telling me I'd won.

(Problem is, I did that a while ago and bought a motorbike in America. I'm in the UK............... Try explaining that to the missus)
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              If the sniper got it for £26, there must have been others willing to pay more than £20, so you would have lost out either way wouldn't you?
              No, I would have considered their bid and likely to have revised my up. The consequence of sniping is that the seller got less than he would have achieved if there was proper bidding process - you can't "snipe" at real auction by shouting new price one second before its over, the existing bidders will be given opportunity to outbid that sudden bidder - I was not given this opportunity now, so it's a sham really, not auction - ebay lost out too, can't believe they tolerate this tulip.

Comment

if you can't beat 'em, join 'em

http://www.esnipe.com/
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

No, I would have considered their bid and likely to have revised my up. The consequence of sniping is that the seller got less than he would have achieved if there was proper bidding process - you can't "snipe" at real auction by shouting new price one second before its over, the existing bidders will be given opportunity to outbid that sudden bidder - I was not given this opportunity now, so it's a sham really, not auction - ebay lost out too, can't believe they tolerate this tulip.
                  Yes, but real-world auctions aren't run by computers are they. In your ideal scenario the bidding could go on for days after the nominal auction end time.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Yes, but real-world auctions aren't run by computers are they. In your ideal scenario the bidding could go on for days after the nominal auction end time.
                    It should be up to the seller to decide if they want to auto extend auction by X hours if suddenly new bidder comes in the end - it is in their (and Ebay) interest to do so as it would give chance to increase sell price. What's wrong in extending auction by a few hours a few times max? The fact that it is run by computer makes it obvious and cheap to implement.

Auctions were in existance way before ebay and those rules of extension are the for a reason - it is crazy ebay tolerates snipers. Anyway in this case I am better off actually - I paid £5 for exactly same keyboard, sniper for another for £26 that I was prepared to pay £20 for (or more if I had chance to outbid him).

Comment

Working...
                    X