Unlimited Internet. Unlimited Internet.
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

More time posting than coding

juststarting has no reputation

Default Unlimited Internet.

Does it not take your goat when you read the phrase "Unlimited Internet"*

All ads and marketing texts on T-mobile and or other providers keep using the term Unlimited Internet* . Now, the star stands for "fair usage policy" which is normally 1 or 3 gigs or whatever per month. The point is "Is 1 Gig per month equivalent to Unlimited Internet?"..

The net result for the customer is that in order to understand the actual package they have to find the fair usage clarification somewhere on the providers web site. Now repeat the process for every provider. There are of course comparison sites but sometimes lack update.

Jedi Like

gingerjedi is too good to be a permie

Xbox live demos are typically 1.2 Gig and I download then 2 or 3 at a time, it does seem ridiculous to have such low limits when we seem to be actively encouraged to download games, movies and TV these days.

Saying that (after reading you post again), I think I'd be hard pressed to use 1 Gig on a mobile! Just use free access points whenever possible.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Contractor Among Contractors

chris79 has no reputation

Yeah like:-

COME ONE EVERYONE!!! Completely unlimited* Internet, surf till your balls drop off!!!

*Applies to the first 1gig, after that we may stop your internet, charge you £90 per MB, or repossess your home.

Fookin annoys me to death those b****rd adverts, unfortunately most of the population fall for it, or don't understand it, or don't question it. Or sign up to 24 month contracts to get a free usb modem then find out after the first 3 days they've made a huge mistake.

I'm with bethere.co.uk and I think they are one of the few genuine "unlimited" ISPs who don't traffic shape, restrict, or cap.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

At least it has the *. "HD Ready" doesn't.

My local Indian takeaway has free delivery, but 10% discount on collection. Hmmm.

Contractor Among Contractors

chris79 has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    At least it has the *. "HD Ready" doesn't.

My local Indian takeaway has free delivery, but 10% discount on collection. Hmmm.
    Yeah, "HD Ready"... those ****ers should be locked up for misleading joe public too.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Banned

TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced

I agree they're economical with the truth at best and really it's cynical misleading advertising.

Nervous Newbie

manstein has no reputation

This subject always gets my goat, not because of the 'unlimited' but because of the following story.

BT charged me £25 extra one month for going over my agreed limit (which was the maximum allowed at the time, this was around 2.5 years ago). I queried how I could check my usage - I couldn't, either off or online. I queried what dates my usage ran from so I could try and monitor it myself - they couldn't tell me that either. I asked if they could warn me when I approached or breached my limit - they couldn't. I asked if they could cap my internet speed when my limit was breached - they couldn't.

I had 4 months left on a 'contract' I had with them even though I had been with them for many years (I upgraded to broadband plus or something, the 8 Meg one, which automatically signed me up for another year) and paying out those 4 months to get my MAC code has to be the most satisfying £120 I've ever spent (except maybe throwing my £150 Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse in the bin, but that's another story).

They've never had another penny from me since nor ever will.

Super poster

lilelvis2000 is a permanent contractor

See, now, you paid them..so they got what they wanted.

Now I would have cancelled the direct debit, complained to the CEO and the ombudsman. I would have got money back and cancelled the contract.

How can you be satisfied paying out £25 and then £120 on top of that!

Super poster

SantaClaus has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by juststarting View Post
    Does it not take your goat when you read the phrase "Unlimited Internet"*

All ads and marketing texts on T-mobile and or other providers keep using the term Unlimited Internet* . Now, the star stands for "fair usage policy" which is normally 1 or 3 gigs or whatever per month. The point is "Is 1 Gig per month equivalent to Unlimited Internet?"..

The net result for the customer is that in order to understand the actual package they have to find the fair usage clarification somewhere on the providers web site. Now repeat the process for every provider. There are of course comparison sites but sometimes lack update.
    I've had real unlimited internet access on T-Mobile for a couple of years now. There is no usage cap and I pay £10 a month on top of my bill.

Edit: Just found out usage cap is 1 Gig, but just confirmed they send you a text message if you go over. They wont charge extra. The will just slow down the feed if you do it repeatedly.

I stream market data and live CNBC for an hour at a time sometimes and my usage this month has only been 0.2 Gigs.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 18th November 2008 at 10:40.

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Edit: Just found out usage cap is 1 Gig, but just confirmed they send you a text message if you go over. They wont charge extra. The will just slow down the feed if you do it repeatedly.
    So, they won't charge you but they will stop providing "unlimited" services they have promised? It's like how about putting into your contract that you will work unlimited hours per week for £5000 per day, however in small print you'd say that should hours exceed 40 per week, then you'd slow down working.