• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are IT contractors finding the job market at the moment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I disagree. An agent told me today that he is expecting things to pick up in January / February time (exactly the time I said I might be available ) so I'm no longer worried.

Phew.

You caught a few with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Market seems ok to me, I'm halfway through looking for a contract at the moment and getting a similar response as I was when I last had to actively look for work.
      How do you know you are halfway through?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        How do you know you are halfway through?
        because i'm experienced in these matters
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I disagree. An agent told me today that he is expecting things to pick up in January / February time (exactly the time I said I might be available ) so I'm no longer worried.

Phew.
          LOL - you're joking right? I've heard it so many times when times get tough - However, it never happens like that.

When times are tough, jobs are gotten by personal calls by pimps - "Are you available now?" etc -the job NEVER gets to jobserve because the agent is scared other agents get a sniff.
          How do I know? 'cos in the last scorched earth period (a few years ago), I got the nod for a few contracts which never went public.

Perversely, When you see lots of jobs advertised (like now) with emails from agents (We have a role - send your CV) ,
          hen you know its REALLY bad out there.

Unless, you have a cozy arangement with a few of the reputable agents, you won't realise it how stuffed you are in this downturn.
          There will always be the "fob off" explanations like "It's to pickup in the new year"
          Not only that, when gigs are tight, you need to be the right age, profile, unmarried with the exact skillset required (but too too senior to be a threat to whoever hires you) - willing to work for crap and travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
            Not only that, when gigs are tight, you need to be the right age, profile, unmarried with the exact skillset required (but too too senior to be a threat to whoever hires you) - willing to work for crap and travel.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

What is it with clients, that when they want you to go perm, they always come up with a narrow range of variations on the 'We want you to be motivated by something other than money' tripe.

Comment

LOL - you're joking right? I've heard it so many times when times get tough - However, it never happens like that.

When times are tough, jobs are gotten by personal calls by pimps - "Are you available now?" etc -the job NEVER gets to jobserve because the agent is scared other agents get a sniff.
                How do I know? 'cos in the last scorched earth period (a few years ago), I got the nod for a few contracts which never went public.

Perversely, When you see lots of jobs advertised (like now) with emails from agents (We have a role - send your CV) ,

Unless, you have a cozy arangement with a few of the reputable agents, you won't realise it how stuffed you are in this downturn.
                There will always be the "fob off" explanations like "It's to pickup in the new year"
                Hook, line and sinker...

Comment

Clearly if you really believe what you have typed above then the only solution is to find an alternative career.
                  I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Hook, line and sinker...
                    Oooooooh bitter!
                    Just trying to give good advice. I fear that in your case, it may be too late - P*ssed off too many agents have we?

I've never been on the bench myself - what's it like oracle slave?

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
                      Clearly if you really believe what you have typed above then the only solution is to find an alternative career.
                      I do and I did. Lets see if you are forced to eh?
                      Making out that "things will get better" is just b*lltulip and you know it

Comment

Working...
                      X