• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are IT contractors finding the job market at the moment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are IT contractors finding the job market at the moment?

I am an IT contractor and currently in a good contract, although short term. I'm just wondering how other IT contractors are finding the market and if there are still jobs out there? I have a lot of experience and am on £350 per day. This contract runs out at the end of December and I am just wondering if I will be able to find more work or if it is extremely quiet.

Thanks!

like a really quiet library

Comment

You may need to give more details than just "IT contractor" and "the market". Some areas are doing better than others, but I imagine that there aren't too many things going on right now - even in a normal year it can be hard in the run-up to Christmas.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

well i have been offered to go permie but have said no i am new to contracting want to give my limited a run.contract runs til end of dec too

however i do have concerns thats why it was a hard decision to say no because of this credit crunch!!

Comment

I can only speak for the testing market, but that's absolute tulip right now. The only gigs I'm getting a sniff of are through contacts, and all three of them ended up being canned because of projects being put on hold...
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You'll be very lucky to find a new role quickly never mind maintain that rate. The market is about to go into freefall as bad as 2001 early in the new year imo.

If you havent got anything lined up by then, expect to be on the bench for some time and \ or work for around £20 per hour.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I'm getting the odd interview, or chance of one. Considering I am really only looking at roles with some remote working possibilities, which narrows things down quite a lot, I view that as cautiously optimistic.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                You'll be very lucky to find a new role quickly never mind maintain that rate. The market is about to go into freefall as bad as 2001 early in the new year imo.

If you havent got anything lined up by then, expect to be on the bench for some time and \ or work for around £20 per hour.
                I disagree. An agent told me today that he is expecting things to pick up in January / February time (exactly the time I said I might be available ) so I'm no longer worried.

Phew.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

For those still in contract (dwindling by the hour by the looks of it), would the option to cut your hours to say 3 days a week be a potential solution rather than the client axing you altogether?

I'm sure many clients still have work they need doing, just not the budget (or desire to spend as much at the moment), so rather than put the project on hold totally, maybe they'd be willing to compromise to some degree.

Got to be better than sitting on the bench not knowing when the next gig will come along, and also more free time to do other stuff, such as persue plan Bs, whilst still generating some income.

Of course, the downside is they could just get shut of the current contractors and take on a load more that are desperate and willing to do the work at half the cost.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

lots of jobs in my area, crap rates. Thankfully in a position to say no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X