• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B one step Closer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    local pubs around my area are closing and part of the reason is sky high fees they need to pay sky/setanta for broadcasting live sport.
    I'm sure i remember a friend of mine who said that it costs hundreds per month for a Sky Sports package...he was drunk so not sure how reliable that is
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
      I'm sure i remember a friend of mine who said that it costs hundreds per month for a Sky Sports package...he was drunk so not sure how reliable that is
      It's just like IT - the subscription fee is per screen, about £300. Landlady at our local got 'done' a few months pack for not having the correct licence.

Also, you need to have an 'Entertainment' license if you want 'Live performers' in the pub.
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

A close friend of mine has 4 pubs, a restuarant, a night club and a gym; so advice is offered with some second hand experience.

DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH A "TIED" PUB.

In my friends experience tied pubs, where the PubCo own the lease and insist you buy the beer from them, are almost impossible to make money from long term. Initially the PubCo will offer you a reasonable rent and allow you to make some money; after a while they "get greedy" and rents go up, beer goes up and your barrelage rebate goes down.

They also chalk up seemingly frivellous charges, such as dilpidations and repairs etc. And woe betide you if you buy your beer from elsewhere, because they failed to supply the beer you ordered (or any alternative)...

Also, the price of their beer is shocking when compared to a local wholesaler, or a supermarket (often more than Tesco!); especially when considered against the back drop that they also get the rental income. They buy the beer off the Brewery, add margin and resell it to you (essentially, I am simplifying). Very wrong.

This is the M.O. which my friend has seen out of both Enterprise Inns and Punch - and he no longer has anything to do with them.

If you can, opt for a Free House.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
          Thanks for the responses...i should have mentioned that it is a Hotel and Restaurant so doesn't just rely on wet sales which can be hardly anything if it is tied in leashold (waiting to find out status). There are already staff in place such as head chef, Restaurant Manager, Bar Manager, cleaners and kitchen porters e.t.c so i doubt i would have to be to much hands on and can still keep some level of private time not behind the bar.

It is based in a nice area up north and has a lot of local trade as well as tourists through out the year.
          Can you say exactly where coops ? If it's near Bootle, I may be able to boost your profits significantly

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Can you say exactly where coops ? If it's near Bootle, I may be able to boost your profits significantly

Sorry lot more north than Bootle
            Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              IMHO The pub business started to decline with the smoking ban, many have gone to the wall already. Steer clear.
              WHS

and even if you have your eye on one with a large patio or garden, the EU are (or were) discussing banning outdoor patio heaters.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                EU are (or were) discussing banning outdoor patio heaters.
                I heard they are now banned

Comment

Working...
                X