• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT reduced to 15%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I do my VAT calculation four times a year
    We all do, it's quarterly!

VAT is the easiest tax to calculate ever. Even simpler for those of us on monthly invoicing. I tend to reclaim quite a lot over a year, anything remotely IT related in fact, including my big LCD TV, er, monitor, so the FRS doesn't appeal to me. Each return takes me under 30 mins to work out, so no biggie.

I'm with you on the expenses though. Having to record all the milage is a pain, but knowing it's reducing my tax bill is what keeps me going.

I laughed when watching the early evening news. They had a few 'jo publics' giving their verdicts, and they all gave the thumbs down. Almost as funny as Labour deferring all the tax increases till after the next election, probably expecting the cons to walk it, and take all the flak.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Looks like they will be making the changes for FRS.
      Oh do keep up at the back please!

http://forums.contractoruk.com/697997-post10.html
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
        http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pbr2008/pbrn26.pdf

FRS rates are coming down in line with the headline VAT rate.
        almost in line, or not at all, depending on your industry

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Seeing as you have to specify your 'industry' to qualify for the FRS, am I the only one who sees it as yet another way HMRC can track the 'tax dodging' service companies, especially now the IR and C&E have merged?

My Ltd has always been classed as retail (and a few other categories), but nothing specifically to do with IT. So far no problems, they're too busy chasing the numpties that put 'IT', 'Services', or 'Consultancy' in their company name.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Seeing as you have to specify your 'industry' to qualify for the FRS, am I the only one who sees it as yet another way HMRC can track the 'tax dodging' service companies, especially now the IR and C&E have merged?

My Ltd has always been classed as retail (and a few other categories), but nothing specifically to do with IT. So far no problems, they're too busy chasing the numpties that put 'IT', 'Services', or 'Consultancy' in their company name.
            like me

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
              But you will be spending less on VAT too.
              Absolutely, because the price of everything will go down because of this VAT cut.

Won't it?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Absolutely, because the price of everything will go down because of this VAT cut.

Won't it?
                Ha ha ha ha ha

bonk

The naiveté of the young, isn't it wonderful.

Comment

OK, I'll try another one:

at the end of next year, whan VAT goes back up again, the price of everything will go up, won't it?

See, I was half right.

Comment

Working...
                  X