• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What skills could you bring to a "Survivors" scenario?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I suppose as a trade, it'll always be needed. Perhaps not the same money as IT but it'd pay the bills for a while.
    Shocking wages back in the day, boss was probably making 11,000 a year at the end for 60-70 hours a week.

Fantastic job though, get to meet people all day, do something people respect.

Comment

a dominatrix with baby oil and a whip

nowhere, nowhere
      in the tribes manual, does it say anything about a nun
      Are you suggesting that the two roles are somehow mutually exclusive ????

As for my contributive skills to a post-nuclear or armageddon-type survival scenario :
      • I've played Fallout on the PC.
      • My WOW character has Skinning and Leatherworking.
      • I can make music out of anything. Including several parts of my anatomy.
      • I'm very good at interrogating people, particularly when they are under duress.
      • I once made a hand-held crossbrow out of Technical Lego that could punch a hole through a normal sized paperback novel at 6 feet.
      • I used to have an air rifle when I was a teen and go out shooting rabbits and other wildlife in the woods.
      • I can fix up CCTV systems and PIR sensors.
      • I saw Rambo I once.
      • I can do magic tricks.

Bring it on !
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        I wish I had a garden - I would give that a try!!

My Grandad used to have a vegetable garden and that was ace.. I loved the peas he grew!!
        You can grow potatoes in a big plant pot - no need for a garden to plant them in.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well for me, I could utilise my love and hobby of cars, so mechanics and general mechanical issues.

Ability to cook and recognise wild growing foods, may all go terribly wrong with wild mushrooms though...I would just feign using them.

Negotiation with other groups of survivors etc.

Actually thinking about it, perhaps I would be better off leaving it to you folks!

Comment

I'm a better than fair shot.

I cook pretty well.

I have some talent when it comes to engineering design, build and repair, a tolerable plumber and electrician and not totally useless at woodworking.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
              I think when it comes to survival, most people could chop up an animal to eat. They may not do it most efficiently or cleanly, but they would.
              I agree, also most of the animal is edible and could be cooked by the most inept of person, so I would say butchery and cooking are non-essential skills.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                They're dead easy.
                1. You find one that fell down the back of the cupboard and has grown "feelers".
                2. You stick it in some mud in the garden
                3. you wait a few months
                Hey presto, loads of spuds.

Onions are rubbish.
                1. You plant an onion
                2. You wait a few months
                Hey presto, you have one onion.

Comment

I would bring nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills.

And I've got proven procreation skills.

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
                    I would bring nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills.

And I've got proven procreation skills.
                    At first I thought you were Napoleon Dynamite, but the second sentence proves you are not

Given a half decent rifle, I can hit a deer through the eye at about 100m. Come the revolution I'm going to find a half decent rifle and move to somewhere where the deer can't be more than 100m from you...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

As many of you who know me, I've been gearing up and preparing for the coming apocalypse for years, ever since Tony B'liar got elected. Could see it coming. Have got myself super fit. Invested in loads of training in escape, evasion and survival. Done courses all over the world, even talked one client into a team building gig with that Swedish survival guy, was marvellous paid for holiday and learned loads.

So I suggest that I'd be best placed to lead the group, and anyone who disagrees will find themselves waking up one morning alone and left behind as I will not carry any slackers. This is survival, not a holiday camp.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X