• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever worked in Canada?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever worked in Canada?

Is it a good place to save money? Or do all your earnings go on heating bills and winter clothing?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Is it a good place to save money? Or do all your earnings go on heating bills and winter clothing?
    Depends where in Canada - it's a fairly large country!

I work mostly in Vancouver (but back home in UK until mid Jan.). It's chilly and a bit snowy there, but not that extreme at the moment (i.e. it's above zero). It's supposed to be getting colder soon though.

In my experience, the Eastern side (e.g. Toronto) is generally colder for longer. You won't be going to the middle bits (e.g. Winnipeg) if you have any sense.

Houses and apartments tend to be better built to withstand the cold. Utility charges are normally less than in UK and Euroland.

Appropriate clothing is essential but then that's the same wherever you live.

Have you never been there? Where are you thinking of going?

As for saving money - I have no idea. Your pounds won't be worth much.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

As for saving money - I have no idea. Your pounds won't be worth much.
      My pounds aren't worth much anywhere!!! I'm just thinking it'd be a good place to work and build up a decent amount of money in a strongish currency. Over the years it's meant to have been a good place to get work, but I accept things may be different now. To be honest I'm far more interested in getting a decently paid contract, than in whether I can see cityscape or mountain from my apartment window.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
        My pounds aren't worth much anywhere!!! I'm just thinking it'd be a good place to work and build up a decent amount of money in a strongish currency. Over the years it's meant to have been a good place to get work, but I accept things may be different now. To be honest I'm far more interested in getting a decently paid contract, than in whether I can see cityscape or mountain from my apartment window.
        Unless you have something lined up, I don't think you'll find it easy to get a contract there. I was angling for years to get something in VC.

What is it you do exactly?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Unless you have something lined up, I don't think you'll find it easy to get a contract there. I was angling for years to get something in VC.

What is it you do exactly?

Not into fishing myself, otherwise I would be angling during the downturn !!

Comment

Am curious about this thread as I wouldn't mind giving Canada a go. I have a brother in Edmonton and we go over every other year.

So do you do contracts over there and come back here between gigs? How do rates compare?

I am a Solutions Architect by trade, though doing more of an Enterprise Arch in the current gig. Whats the market like for the likes of me?
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
              Am curious about this thread as I wouldn't mind giving Canada a go.
              Same here, the boyf and i have earmarked Canada as a "would be nice to move there for a few years". A couple of friends have lived there and loved it.

I do pm/ba and he is a tester/developer type, what's the contract market like?
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Lots of jobs canned due to the slump in the price of oil.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

contract rates are crap. you'll barely make enough to survive.

Comment

Don't go to Montreal it's a dump.

Comment

Working...
                    X