Anyone ever worked in Canada? Anyone ever worked in Canada?
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Super poster

MrMark is too good to be a permie

Default Anyone ever worked in Canada?

Is it a good place to save money? Or do all your earnings go on heating bills and winter clothing?

Godlike

bogeyman is good enough for Jehovah!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
    Is it a good place to save money? Or do all your earnings go on heating bills and winter clothing?
    Depends where in Canada - it's a fairly large country!

I work mostly in Vancouver (but back home in UK until mid Jan.). It's chilly and a bit snowy there, but not that extreme at the moment (i.e. it's above zero). It's supposed to be getting colder soon though.

In my experience, the Eastern side (e.g. Toronto) is generally colder for longer. You won't be going to the middle bits (e.g. Winnipeg) if you have any sense.

Houses and apartments tend to be better built to withstand the cold. Utility charges are normally less than in UK and Euroland.

Appropriate clothing is essential but then that's the same wherever you live.

Have you never been there? Where are you thinking of going?

As for saving money - I have no idea. Your pounds won't be worth much.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Super poster

MrMark is too good to be a permie

As for saving money - I have no idea. Your pounds won't be worth much.
    My pounds aren't worth much anywhere!!! I'm just thinking it'd be a good place to work and build up a decent amount of money in a strongish currency. Over the years it's meant to have been a good place to get work, but I accept things may be different now. To be honest I'm far more interested in getting a decently paid contract, than in whether I can see cityscape or mountain from my apartment window.

Godlike

bogeyman is good enough for Jehovah!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
    My pounds aren't worth much anywhere!!! I'm just thinking it'd be a good place to work and build up a decent amount of money in a strongish currency. Over the years it's meant to have been a good place to get work, but I accept things may be different now. To be honest I'm far more interested in getting a decently paid contract, than in whether I can see cityscape or mountain from my apartment window.
    Unless you have something lined up, I don't think you'll find it easy to get a contract there. I was angling for years to get something in VC.

What is it you do exactly?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Banned

Cyberman has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
    Unless you have something lined up, I don't think you'll find it easy to get a contract there. I was angling for years to get something in VC.

What is it you do exactly?

Not into fishing myself, otherwise I would be angling during the downturn !!

Contractor Among Contractors

portseven is good enough for Jehovah!

Am curious about this thread as I wouldn't mind giving Canada a go. I have a brother in Edmonton and we go over every other year.

So do you do contracts over there and come back here between gigs? How do rates compare?

I am a Solutions Architect by trade, though doing more of an Enterprise Arch in the current gig. Whats the market like for the likes of me?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Batty

norrahe is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by portseven View Post
    Am curious about this thread as I wouldn't mind giving Canada a go.
    Same here, the boyf and i have earmarked Canada as a "would be nice to move there for a few years". A couple of friends have lived there and loved it.

I do pm/ba and he is a tester/developer type, what's the contract market like?

Godlike

Fred Bloggs is NOT a disguised employee

Lots of jobs canned due to the slump in the price of oil.

Fingers like lightning

BigTime is good enough for Jehovah!

contract rates are crap. you'll barely make enough to survive.

Should post faster

MickeyP has no reputation

Don't go to Montreal it's a dump.