• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wine At Posh Restaurant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine At Posh Restaurant

I'm taking a lady out tomorrow anyway I thought I would check out the wine list before hand and **** me its expensive, also I don't know what colour wine goes with meat and fish.

Can anyone recommend something from the wine list below,

White wines
    Château Bauduc, Bordeaux blanc, France 2007 - 22.00
    Grüner Veltliner, “Gmork”, Anton Bauer, Donauland, Austria 2007 - 33.00
    Domaine de la Courteliere, Vin de pays Charentais, France, 2006 - 45.00
    Muscat Brandhof, Domaine Rémy Gresser, France, 2007 - 50.00
    Bourgogne, “La Tufera”, Etienne Sauzet, France, 2006 - 60.00

Rosé wines
    “Cuvée Faustine”, Ajaccio, Domaine Comte Abbatucci 2007 - 55.00

Red wines
    Baux de Provence, Domaine Henri Milan, France 2004 - 33.00
    Chianti Colli Senesi, Vittorio Innocenti 2005 - 38.00
    Côteaux du Languedoc, La Jasse Castel, «La Jasse», Montpeyroux 2003 - 42.00
    Monthelie, Domaine Roulot, France 2004 - 50.00
    Château de Lamarque, Cru Bourgeois, Haut-Médoc, France 1999 - 60.00

Or the full list,

http://www.gordonramsay.com/export/s...ine_list_1.pdf

Also is it white with meat or fish or red with it, I just dont know.
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 29 December 2008, 18:06.

Go house red or white. It should be a perfectly decent drop, you'll save a load of cash, and frankly ordering wine you don't know anything about from the wine list just to impress is just willy-waving.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I'm afraid that at those prices I'm tea total. What a rip off.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Just buy her a happy meal.

Comment

A very general guideline is white wine with fish or white meats/sauces and red wines with red meats/dark sauces.

Quite frankly the wine at expensive restaurants is wildly overpriced and not appreciably better than what you can get at Tesco for under a tenner.

Wine snobbery is a complete farce as unless you have a hugely educated sense of taste and don't actually plan to swallow the wine, after the first glass you really can't taste a difference between a £10 and £100 bottle, plenty of people claim that they can, but once the alcohol has taken effect they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
            Surely it's red wine with meat, white with fish?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post

It is generally white for fish because usually fish is more delicate than meat. There might be some exceptions if the fish is very meaty but as a good rule white-fish is the best pair. If in doubt always go for italian wine, the base standards are higher than in other countries.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                Go house red or white. It should be a perfectly decent drop, you'll save a load of cash, and frankly ordering wine you don't know anything about from the wine list just to impress is just willy-waving.
                WHS!

love a nice glass/bottle of house red whenever me and the missus go out, but never splash out for both those reasons, plus the fact you can tell much after a couple *hic*

Comment

I'd recommend the Château Lafite-Rothschild, 1er grand cru classé at £10k

Why not go Australian? Or New Zealand? Looks like much better value. Plus you can BS about preferring New World wines (the French just don't make wine like they used to, everyone knows that!)

Personally I see nothing wrong with drinking white wine with anything (e.g. red meat) but red with fish or white meat will probably be too heavy.

Ask your date what she prefers (red or white) rather than be a slave to convention.

If I were choosing from that list I'd go for:
                  White: 1476 Sauvignon Blanc, Clos Henri, Marlborough 2007 £39.00
                  Red: 1442 Shiraz, Tyrrell’s Wines, Rufus Stone, Heathcote, Victoria 2005 £35.00

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Personally I see nothing wrong with drinking white wine with anything (e.g. red meat) but red with fish or white meat will probably be too heavy.

Ask your date what she prefers (red or white) rather than be a slave to convention.
                    I agree completely, as I said in my comments the guidelines over red and white wines are very general. If you much prefer white or red then go with what you like and convention can shove its head up its own bum.

Comment

Working...
                    X