• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Dog [Springer Spaniel]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Dog [Springer Spaniel]

We "baby sat" two springer spaniel's over Christmas - and now the wife is in love

How does one go about buying a dog [A good one] - silly question I know but I have not done it before

All advice welcome

I had a mutt when I was young and and am therefore well versed into the walking, feeding costs and commitment etc - actually I enjoy it
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Surely the obvious place to start: ask the owners of the ones you sat where they got theirs.

Comment

WHS

Also look up pedigree breeders from you area, or the kennel association.

just be warned these dogs are "working dogs" normally used as gun dogs and not as pets, they need to be walked for miles each day and they are a handful.

my brother breeds them and we did have one as a pet as well as gun dog.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Doh yes - I already asked - some "mate of a mate" from Wales apprently

Is there not a register of approved breeders for dogs ?

The Budget is £0 - £750 for one dog (We want two)
        www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          WHS

Also look up pedigree breeders from you area, or the kennel association.

just be warned these dogs are "working dogs" normally used as gun dogs and not as pets, they need to be walked for miles each day and they are a handful.

my brother breeds them and we did have one as a pet as well as gun dog.
          WHS

Springers are a total nightmare.

They will keep you fit if you keep one long enough without killing it, yourself etc.

I'd tend towards a calmer breed myself.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
            Doh yes - I already asked - some "mate of a mate" from Wales apprently

Is there not a register of approved breeders for dogs ?

The Budget is £0 - £750 for one dog (We want two)
            Try the kennel club for a list of breeders & good luck!!
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

My brother had one and it was a nightmare because it was very boisterous, large and uncontrollable and kept knocking his kids over. Eventually he banned it from the house. Good luck !!

Comment

I'll add in the usual stuff about considering getting a dog from an animal rescue place - it's long enough after Christmas that they should be filling up nicely.

Of course you're unlikely to be able to obtain that specific model, but you get the warm fuzzy glow of having saved it from being put down, if you like that sort of thing

Comment

Springers !!!!!

Fearless, stubborn, intelligent, loyal and friendly (esp female legs)

I was brought up with them, fantastic dogs but need lots of exercise and a firm hand.

Bitches tend to be calmer, males are like feral kids if not kept in line.

For a working strain look at the shooting type places on tinternet for recommendations etc.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I'll add in the usual stuff about considering getting a dog from an animal rescue place - it's long enough after Christmas that they should be filling up nicely.

Of course you're unlikely to be able to obtain that specific model, but you get the warm fuzzy glow of having saved it from being put down, if you like that sort of thing

That's a good idea actuallly. My brother now has two very well behaved dogs, and both from this source.

Comment

Working...
                    X