• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heading for a Depression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading for a Depression

depression

depression

This is it guys....looks like the big one.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    depression

depression

Never mind, people need entertained regardless of the state of the economy, never been so busy with gigs. Musicians will always survive
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      depression

depression

Still haven't topped yourself then? It must be close...surely?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

time to stop reading the news sites, the papers, the economist and to stop watching the news.

We can then be free of the depressing economy, middle east, the third runway etc and might feel a bit more positive.......
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Never mind, people need entertained regardless of the state of the economy, never been so busy with gigs. Musicians will always survive
          True. Never knew there was so much call for a Church Organist, and now I'm at it nearly every Sunday, sometimes 4 services, and as many evenings in the week as I want. The money's pretty good too, and I'm a part-timer. The proper fastansat organists are on a surprisingly good whack.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            time to stop reading the news sites, the papers, the economist and to stop watching the news.

We can then be free of the depressing economy, middle east, the third runway etc and might feel a bit more positive.......
            Actually, there are benefits to a recession - and a lot of economists think they are a vital part of a consumer-led economy, even if they are a painful process to go through. This one in particular.

Off the top of my head for example...
            • Despite some people shouting it for years, everyone now realises the banking system needs fixing - and watching a lot more closely in the future.
            • People have cottoned on to the fact that saving is a good idea.
            • Dumb lending practices will hopefully be a thing of the past.
            • The rampant and crazy consumerism has stopped - as it had to sooner or later. People will again start distinguishing between "want" and "need".
            • Politicians are at last getting the message that relying totally on the service sector is not a good idea - it is wise to have a healthy manufacturing sector too.
            • There is a theory that recessions are good for your health - http://www.usatoday.com/money/jobcen...ecession_x.htm
            • Better spending opportunities - there is a theory that we will look back on 2009 as a golden year for shopping, since prices are coming down and there are lots of bargains to be had. This is likely to continue for some months, and since unemployment is expected to reach 10% at the most, for 90% of us this could be an opportunity to get what we need a lot cheaper than we might have thought.
            • More innovation - companies are always born in recessions from people losing jobs and starting up on their own. Some of these will be a success, a small number will be a great success and provide new opportunities for others. It always happens.

So I don't agree that it is all doom and gloom despite some people appearing to love wallowing in it. The way modern economies are run, recessions are needed from time to time to give people a slap back to reality.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It all started with Thatcher, apparently.

Linky (from Mar 11, 2008)
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X