• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Universe expansion set for Collapse shock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universe expansion set for Collapse shock

Starless and Bible Black

Cosmological markets were shaken by the latest reports of the current expansion of the Universe will be over in 20 Billion years.

Driving the known acceleration of the universe's expansion is a mysterious thing is called dark energy, thought of by scientists as anti-gravity working over large distances.

Conventional wisdom holds that the acceleration will proceed at a constant rate, akin to a car that moves 10 mph faster with each mile traveled. With nothing to cap the acceleration, all galaxies will eventually recede from one another at the speed of light, leaving each galaxy alone in a cold, dark universe within 100 billion years. We would not be able to see any galaxies outside our Milky Way, even with the most powerful telescopes.

That's the conventional view, remarkable as it sounds.

The Big Rip theory has dark energy's prowess increasing with time, until it's an out-of-control phantom energy. Think of our car accelerating an additional 10 mph every half mile, then every hundred yards, then every foot.

Before long, the bumpers are bound to fly off. Sooner or later, our hypothetical engine will come apart, regardless of how much we spend on motor oil.

Countdown to demise

Other theorists who have reviewed the Big Rip theory are not yet sold on the idea. Meanwhile, Caldwell's team has provided a precise countdown to total demise. The projected end is, reassuringly, 20 billion years away. If our species survives the next 19 billion years (and there are serious doubts about this, given our Sun's projected fate) here are some signs that scientists of the future will want to look for.

* A billion years before the end, all galaxies will have receded so far and so fast from our own as to be erased from the sky, as in no longer visible.
    * When the Milky Way begins to fly apart, there are 60 million years left.
    * Planets in our solar system will start to wing away from the Sun three months before the end of time.
    * When Earth explodes, the end is momentarily near.

At this point, there is still a short interval before atoms and even their nuclei break apart. "There's about 30 minutes left," Caldwell said, "But it's not quality time."

And then what? Does the universe recycle itself? Is there something after nothing?

"We're not sure what happens after that," Caldwell says. "On the face of it, it would look like time ends."

Who cares ? I won't be here to worry about it, and I can do nothing about it. Let's just enjoy life and worry about things that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      Who cares ? I won't be here to worry about it, and I can do nothing about it. Let's just enjoy life and worry about things that matter.
      In fact - there is nothing at all to worry about - because nothing really matters at all.

Its all going to fade away - Starless and Bible Black.

Then - no more talk of you and I.

Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        I like thinking about it because it's deep. deep space. deep thoughts.
        By the same token, I dont think much about you.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I have no doubt the human race will be long gone by the time it all kicks off. The rats and anything else that survives can sort it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I have no doubt the human race will be long gone by the time it all kicks off. The rats and anything else that survives can sort it all out.
            recruitment agents

Comment

Working...
            X